Today the bikes all looked excellent, and it was as if there were two races occurring at the same time. This is to be expected because the four Zero bikes are completely outgunned by the Lightning bikes.
In race#1 we had the two Lightning bikes going flat out. One of the riders (probably Michael Barnes) was hitting the throttle harder than the other, as I saw it popping wheelies in the front straight, and catching air several times coming over a little rise in the S curves. The results sheet does not show timing for Michael Barnes (transponder was probably not responding). Tim Hunt riding Lightning #89 turned in a best lap time of 1:58.358, which is pretty disappointing for a bike this powerful, but he is new to the Lightning Team.
In race#2 was the four Zero Motorcycles bikes. These are minimally modified Zero S’s racing as an experiment in what might be a “spec class” for the TTXGP. This weekend they are racing for an award named eSuperStock. Throughout the practice round the Zero bikes were divided in two pairs competing with each other, at largely the same speed and finishing within 5 seconds of each other. Martin Szwarc riding #5 came in 2nd, best lap time 2:13.777; Jason Lauritzen #7 came in 3rd, best lap time 2:14.385; Kenyon Kluge #619, came in 4th, best lap time 2:15.572; Jennifer Lauritzen #96 came in 5th, best lap time 2:19.144.
Time after time throughout the race one of the Lightning bikes would pass one or more of the Zero bikes as if they were standing still. The Zero S is geared with a maximum speed of 88 miles/hr while last years Lightning bike set the electric motorcycle land speed record of 215 miles/hr. It is completely unsurprising that Zero bikes are being passed so commandingly by Lightning’s bikes.
- Fuel cell airplane maker ZeroAvia taking on mid-range commercial air travel - August 14, 2019
- Our society is living on borrowed ancient sunlight - August 1, 2019
- Timisoara RO, curiously plans to buy light rail cars with batteries - July 18, 2019
- Chevy Bolt owner to NY Times: LA to Las Vegas takes 1/2 hour charging, not 2 1/2 - July 11, 2019
- MotoE World Cup rises from the ashes, holds first electric motorcycle race of 2019 season - July 7, 2019
- An RV based on the Tesla Semi misses the point of Tesla - July 7, 2019
- No, another high end electric sports car will not kill Tesla Motors - June 28, 2019
- LA to Vegas and back by electric car: Another unwarranted slam by a NY Times reporter - June 23, 2019
- GOP State Senators in Oregon flee vote on Cap & Trade bill - June 20, 2019
- Hydrogen refueling station in Oslo Norway explodes and burns - June 10, 2019