Team Icon Brammo officials have confirmed that Steve Atlas fractured six thoracic vertebrae, and was sent from the hospital to rest in his hotel room. He can’t be too bad off if the doctors sent him home, but in no way is broken vertebrae anything to sneeze at. We wish Steve the best recovery possible. The estimate is he will be out for 6 weeks or so.
The Empulse RR had its own version of “going to the hospital” in that the Team Icon Brammo team members packed up their paddock area, and went to a nearby workshop. The damage to the bike consisted of a destroyed fairing, a scraped up handlebar, and a heavily damaged motor. It is the motor damage that will be the most difficult for the team to repair, as it damaged the encoder disc and the water cooling system. The team intends to repair the bike and get back into the race, with a replacement rider yet to be identified.
As of this writing at 3PM Brammo is still away from the track, and the qualifying race is due to occur at 5:30PM (more likely 6PM) this evening. In the past, teams who were unable to race in the qualifying round would be gridded on the rear row of the starting field during the actual race.
- Is there enough Grid Capacity for Hydrogen Fuel Cell or Battery Electric cars? - April 23, 2023
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021