My, how the mighty have fallen. Consumer Reports today announced it cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S, despite that car being so utterly excellent that it “broke” CR’s ratings system. That is, Consumer Reports twice did a review of the Tesla Model S which awarded the car the highest ranking of any car CR has ever tested. Twice. But, today the consumer products testing agency released a report ranking car “reliability” and, because of ongoing problems with the car, Consumer Reports cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S.
According to a posting on the Consumer Reports website: “To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.”
What does that mean in the case of the Tesla Model S? CR received input from a survey of 1,400 Model S owners, who told CR of a litany of problems. Drive motors that have to be replaced, battery systems that no longer charge, and door handles that don’t work properly. Or, as CR put it: “From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate.”
The issues have gotten worse since CR’s 2014 car reliability survey, with the climate control, steering, and suspension systems scoring lower than in 2014.
Consumer Reports did say that most of the problems are covered under warranty, and are fixed at no charge to the car owner.
- Clinton claims, in leaked e-mails, anti-fracking groups funded by Putin (Russia) - October 12, 2016
- Dieselgate-like problem found in television sets by new NRDC report - September 22, 2016
- The 238 mile range Chevy Bolt is not a threat to Tesla Motors, Tesla is a threat to itself - September 14, 2016
- BMW, VW, ChargePoint claim to finish East/West charging corridors rings hollow - September 14, 2016
- Chinese Model S auto-pilot crash says we shouldn’t rely on autopilot mode, yet - September 14, 2016
- TI enabling smart EVSE’s by adding WiFi to charging station reference design - August 30, 2016
- Do we need a 500 mile range Tesla or other electric car? - August 27, 2016
- ChargePoint et al argues PG&E’s charging station plan is anti-competitive - August 10, 2016
- Solar Impulse demonstrates implementation of the clean energy paradigm we deserve - July 26, 2016
- Solar Impulse makes history as the first around-the-world solar-electric airplane flight, 40,000+ km with no fuel - July 25, 2016