My, how the mighty have fallen. Consumer Reports today announced it cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S, despite that car being so utterly excellent that it “broke” CR’s ratings system. That is, Consumer Reports twice did a review of the Tesla Model S which awarded the car the highest ranking of any car CR has ever tested. Twice. But, today the consumer products testing agency released a report ranking car “reliability” and, because of ongoing problems with the car, Consumer Reports cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S.
According to a posting on the Consumer Reports website: “To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.”
What does that mean in the case of the Tesla Model S? CR received input from a survey of 1,400 Model S owners, who told CR of a litany of problems. Drive motors that have to be replaced, battery systems that no longer charge, and door handles that don’t work properly. Or, as CR put it: “From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate.”
The issues have gotten worse since CR’s 2014 car reliability survey, with the climate control, steering, and suspension systems scoring lower than in 2014.
Consumer Reports did say that most of the problems are covered under warranty, and are fixed at no charge to the car owner.
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018
- California’s extreme wildfires this week are a Climate Change story - November 18, 2018
- Could some homes in Paradise CA have been saved with on-site energy storage systems? - November 17, 2018
- Paradise is destroyed while Pres. Trump lies about climate change and California - November 11, 2018
- Harley-Davidson promises big things in electric motorcycles, gives peak at 2020 LiveWire electric bike - November 6, 2018
- Expensive taxi rides brought us Uber/Lyft, but should we be driven by amateur drivers? - November 2, 2018