My, how the mighty have fallen. Consumer Reports today announced it cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S, despite that car being so utterly excellent that it “broke” CR’s ratings system. That is, Consumer Reports twice did a review of the Tesla Model S which awarded the car the highest ranking of any car CR has ever tested. Twice. But, today the consumer products testing agency released a report ranking car “reliability” and, because of ongoing problems with the car, Consumer Reports cannot Recommend the Tesla Model S.
According to a posting on the Consumer Reports website: “To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.”
What does that mean in the case of the Tesla Model S? CR received input from a survey of 1,400 Model S owners, who told CR of a litany of problems. Drive motors that have to be replaced, battery systems that no longer charge, and door handles that don’t work properly. Or, as CR put it: “From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate.”
The issues have gotten worse since CR’s 2014 car reliability survey, with the climate control, steering, and suspension systems scoring lower than in 2014.
Consumer Reports did say that most of the problems are covered under warranty, and are fixed at no charge to the car owner.
- Dept of Energy aims for high speed EV charging network in new Grant program - May 14, 2018
- Uber self-driving car fatality blamed on faulty software - May 7, 2018
- Orange Button data taxonomy for solar financial reporting launches with developer meeting - April 20, 2018
- Self-driving vehicles need to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run - April 5, 2018
- Rapid adoption of self-driving cars considered harmful, a plea for caution - April 2, 2018
- Electric cars with 400 mile range are coming, and may need DC Fast Charging at home - March 22, 2018
- CharIN alliance meets on Tesla’s doorstep, presents CCS as the best DC Fast Charging system for electric cars - March 20, 2018
- US Govt warns Russia attacking US energy sector, renewable industry responds with cybersecurity working group - March 16, 2018
- Tesla Motors versus the other Car Makers and the future of the Car industry - February 25, 2018
- Tesla delays deliveries angering large number of fans, destroying credibility? - February 9, 2018