Is the only way Volkswagen can repair its image is to completely erase Diesel engines from its car line-up, and to completely switch to plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles? That’s what Robert Llewellyn says in this rant. Why is his opinion important? In addition to being an actor, TV show host, and comedian, what’s important at this moment is his years of work under the “Fully Charged” brand name exploring vehicle emissions, electric vehicles and clean energy. He is something of a hero to those of us who’ve been promoting electric vehicles ourselves.
As he says, Volkswagen lied to all of US … “conned us” … by claiming these TDI Diesel’s were ultra clean wonder-cars, when in fact they were nearly as bad as the old school dirty diesels. The lie was told to the EPA, CARB and other regulatory agencies. Those agencies then awarded Volkswagen with green car awards, prominence in publications about clean vehicles, and even government subsidies. In other words, those agencies repeated Volkswagen’s lie by telling us their vehicles were so clean.
Why did Diesel cars become so popular in England? (now 55% of all cars) It was seen by the government as higher fuel efficiency, less CO2 emissions, and the fuel is cheaper because it’s easier to produce. However, most of that has now been disproved.
- Tesla Motors delivers hardcore smackdown on trucking and supercar industries with Semi and Roadster 2 - November 16, 2017
- Tesla’s Class 8 electric truck, first showing due tomorrow, is important, but hardly the second coming of Christ - November 15, 2017
- Gov Brown tells protesters he’ll put them in the ground, that CA should rely on its own oil versus Venezuela’s - November 14, 2017
- Can Bitcoin/Blockchain technology democratize the renewable energy industry? - November 9, 2017
- ABB challenges Tesla Supercharger network with 150 kiloWatt CHAdeMO/CCS DCFC charging station - October 4, 2017
- Dept of Energy moving forward with energy storage research projects, doubling down on renewable energy - September 18, 2017
- Nissan introduces 2018 Nissan Leaf, stressing autonomous driving over electric vehicle technology - September 5, 2017
- Jimmy Carter’s Crisis of Confidence speech was political disaster, but oh if we’d only stuck to his plan … - September 4, 2017
- Trump Administration fiddles in Washington while Houston drowns under extreme weather hurricane - August 28, 2017
- Is Tesla painting itself into a corner because Gigafactory only builds Lithium-ION cells? - August 14, 2017