Is the only way Volkswagen can repair its image is to completely erase Diesel engines from its car line-up, and to completely switch to plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicles? That’s what Robert Llewellyn says in this rant. Why is his opinion important? In addition to being an actor, TV show host, and comedian, what’s important at this moment is his years of work under the “Fully Charged” brand name exploring vehicle emissions, electric vehicles and clean energy. He is something of a hero to those of us who’ve been promoting electric vehicles ourselves.
As he says, Volkswagen lied to all of US … “conned us” … by claiming these TDI Diesel’s were ultra clean wonder-cars, when in fact they were nearly as bad as the old school dirty diesels. The lie was told to the EPA, CARB and other regulatory agencies. Those agencies then awarded Volkswagen with green car awards, prominence in publications about clean vehicles, and even government subsidies. In other words, those agencies repeated Volkswagen’s lie by telling us their vehicles were so clean.
Why did Diesel cars become so popular in England? (now 55% of all cars) It was seen by the government as higher fuel efficiency, less CO2 emissions, and the fuel is cheaper because it’s easier to produce. However, most of that has now been disproved.
- Clinton claims, in leaked e-mails, anti-fracking groups funded by Putin (Russia) - October 12, 2016
- Dieselgate-like problem found in television sets by new NRDC report - September 22, 2016
- The 238 mile range Chevy Bolt is not a threat to Tesla Motors, Tesla is a threat to itself - September 14, 2016
- BMW, VW, ChargePoint claim to finish East/West charging corridors rings hollow - September 14, 2016
- Chinese Model S auto-pilot crash says we shouldn’t rely on autopilot mode, yet - September 14, 2016
- TI enabling smart EVSE’s by adding WiFi to charging station reference design - August 30, 2016
- Do we need a 500 mile range Tesla or other electric car? - August 27, 2016
- ChargePoint et al argues PG&E’s charging station plan is anti-competitive - August 10, 2016
- Solar Impulse demonstrates implementation of the clean energy paradigm we deserve - July 26, 2016
- Solar Impulse makes history as the first around-the-world solar-electric airplane flight, 40,000+ km with no fuel - July 25, 2016
- Emissions reporting problem larger than just Volkswagen, affects gasoline cars too
- EPA puts automakers on notice, while firings start at Volkswagen
- Volkswagen promises electric vehicle leadership by 2018, kinda late to the agme are they?
- Volkswagen warned as far back as 2007 against illegal Dieselgate practices
- EPA/CARB accuses VW, Audi, cheated on emissions regulations
- Timeline of VW's Dieselgate, what did EPA/CARB do and when did they do it?
- Dieselgate resulted in 1 million extra tonnes NOx emissions from dirty VW's
- Audi wants Clean Diesel adoption, instead of electric vehicle's, while parent VW claims they'll be an EV leader