With 11 million VW 2 liter TDI Diesel cars emitting 10-40x the NOx pollution they’re allowed, what’s the effect on the environment? According to reporters at The Guardian, it adds up to 1 million tonnes extra NOx in the atmosphere.
Those 11 million cars were bought under a promise of being ultra clean even though powered by a Diesel engine. Governments threw their support behind these cars, under the premise of clean emissions. But, according to the EPA, it was a sham. Instead of clean diesel, customers were conned into buying the same old dirty diesel.
According to The Guardian, if these cars had complied with the standard they supposedly passed, they would have emitted just 1,039 tonnes of NOx each year in total, for the half million in the U.S. But at 10-40x that amount the total tots up to between 10,392 and 41,571 tonnes of extra NOx emissions in the U.S.
Because VW has admitted the total comes to 11 million vehicles, the total extra NOx emissions are between 237,161 and 948,691 tonnes of NOx emissions each year.
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018
- California’s extreme wildfires this week are a Climate Change story - November 18, 2018
- Could some homes in Paradise CA have been saved with on-site energy storage systems? - November 17, 2018
- Paradise is destroyed while Pres. Trump lies about climate change and California - November 11, 2018
- Harley-Davidson promises big things in electric motorcycles, gives peak at 2020 LiveWire electric bike - November 6, 2018
- Expensive taxi rides brought us Uber/Lyft, but should we be driven by amateur drivers? - November 2, 2018