With 11 million VW 2 liter TDI Diesel cars emitting 10-40x the NOx pollution they’re allowed, what’s the effect on the environment? According to reporters at The Guardian, it adds up to 1 million tonnes extra NOx in the atmosphere.
Those 11 million cars were bought under a promise of being ultra clean even though powered by a Diesel engine. Governments threw their support behind these cars, under the premise of clean emissions. But, according to the EPA, it was a sham. Instead of clean diesel, customers were conned into buying the same old dirty diesel.
According to The Guardian, if these cars had complied with the standard they supposedly passed, they would have emitted just 1,039 tonnes of NOx each year in total, for the half million in the U.S. But at 10-40x that amount the total tots up to between 10,392 and 41,571 tonnes of extra NOx emissions in the U.S.
Because VW has admitted the total comes to 11 million vehicles, the total extra NOx emissions are between 237,161 and 948,691 tonnes of NOx emissions each year.
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020