With 11 million VW 2 liter TDI Diesel cars emitting 10-40x the NOx pollution they’re allowed, what’s the effect on the environment? According to reporters at The Guardian, it adds up to 1 million tonnes extra NOx in the atmosphere.
Those 11 million cars were bought under a promise of being ultra clean even though powered by a Diesel engine. Governments threw their support behind these cars, under the premise of clean emissions. But, according to the EPA, it was a sham. Instead of clean diesel, customers were conned into buying the same old dirty diesel.
According to The Guardian, if these cars had complied with the standard they supposedly passed, they would have emitted just 1,039 tonnes of NOx each year in total, for the half million in the U.S. But at 10-40x that amount the total tots up to between 10,392 and 41,571 tonnes of extra NOx emissions in the U.S.
Because VW has admitted the total comes to 11 million vehicles, the total extra NOx emissions are between 237,161 and 948,691 tonnes of NOx emissions each year.
- Tesla Motors delivers hardcore smackdown on trucking and supercar industries with Semi and Roadster 2 - November 16, 2017
- Tesla’s Class 8 electric truck, first showing due tomorrow, is important, but hardly the second coming of Christ - November 15, 2017
- Gov Brown tells protesters he’ll put them in the ground, that CA should rely on its own oil versus Venezuela’s - November 14, 2017
- Can Bitcoin/Blockchain technology democratize the renewable energy industry? - November 9, 2017
- ABB challenges Tesla Supercharger network with 150 kiloWatt CHAdeMO/CCS DCFC charging station - October 4, 2017
- Dept of Energy moving forward with energy storage research projects, doubling down on renewable energy - September 18, 2017
- Nissan introduces 2018 Nissan Leaf, stressing autonomous driving over electric vehicle technology - September 5, 2017
- Jimmy Carter’s Crisis of Confidence speech was political disaster, but oh if we’d only stuck to his plan … - September 4, 2017
- Trump Administration fiddles in Washington while Houston drowns under extreme weather hurricane - August 28, 2017
- Is Tesla painting itself into a corner because Gigafactory only builds Lithium-ION cells? - August 14, 2017