With 11 million VW 2 liter TDI Diesel cars emitting 10-40x the NOx pollution they’re allowed, what’s the effect on the environment? According to reporters at The Guardian, it adds up to 1 million tonnes extra NOx in the atmosphere.
Those 11 million cars were bought under a promise of being ultra clean even though powered by a Diesel engine. Governments threw their support behind these cars, under the premise of clean emissions. But, according to the EPA, it was a sham. Instead of clean diesel, customers were conned into buying the same old dirty diesel.
According to The Guardian, if these cars had complied with the standard they supposedly passed, they would have emitted just 1,039 tonnes of NOx each year in total, for the half million in the U.S. But at 10-40x that amount the total tots up to between 10,392 and 41,571 tonnes of extra NOx emissions in the U.S.
Because VW has admitted the total comes to 11 million vehicles, the total extra NOx emissions are between 237,161 and 948,691 tonnes of NOx emissions each year.
- Dept of Energy aims for high speed EV charging network in new Grant program - May 14, 2018
- Uber self-driving car fatality blamed on faulty software - May 7, 2018
- Orange Button data taxonomy for solar financial reporting launches with developer meeting - April 20, 2018
- Self-driving vehicles need to crawl before they walk, and walk before they run - April 5, 2018
- Rapid adoption of self-driving cars considered harmful, a plea for caution - April 2, 2018
- Electric cars with 400 mile range are coming, and may need DC Fast Charging at home - March 22, 2018
- CharIN alliance meets on Tesla’s doorstep, presents CCS as the best DC Fast Charging system for electric cars - March 20, 2018
- US Govt warns Russia attacking US energy sector, renewable industry responds with cybersecurity working group - March 16, 2018
- Tesla Motors versus the other Car Makers and the future of the Car industry - February 25, 2018
- Tesla delays deliveries angering large number of fans, destroying credibility? - February 9, 2018