There are two climate change related efforts which put conflicting constraints on building electrical service and energy accounting. On the one hand we want “Net Zero Energy Buildings” where, between a combination of energy efficiency and local renewable energy (rooftop solar), the building generates all the electricity it consumes. On the other hand we want people driving electric cars. Since charging electric cars requires electricity, it then becomes that much harder to reach Net Zero Energy goals.
One could just, to meet Net Zero Energy Goals, put up more solar panels to match the electricity consumed in electric car charging. Simple, problem solved, right? Wrong. It makes the Net Zero Energy goal more expensive to reach, and therefore company management is more likely to veto the project. And we want more buildings to produce the energy they consume, right?
Let me make a little observation: Electricity used to recharge electric cars is not electricity used in running the building.
Hence, lumping EV Charging Electricity with Building Energy is an improper accounting of the energy. The Net Zero Energy goal, properly accounted for, simply wouldn’t count energy consumed for EV charging against the building energy.
Therefore, when a business installs EV Charging infrastructure (which it should) for its employees, the charging stations should be on their own electricity meter. That way the business can separately account for building energy consumption, and EV charging energy consumption, and properly measure its Net Zero Energy goal.
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018
- California’s extreme wildfires this week are a Climate Change story - November 18, 2018
- Could some homes in Paradise CA have been saved with on-site energy storage systems? - November 17, 2018
- Paradise is destroyed while Pres. Trump lies about climate change and California - November 11, 2018
- Harley-Davidson promises big things in electric motorcycles, gives peak at 2020 LiveWire electric bike - November 6, 2018
- Expensive taxi rides brought us Uber/Lyft, but should we be driven by amateur drivers? - November 2, 2018