Those of us wanting to practice self-sufficiency, to grow our own food, and generally live a low-tech lifestyle, will find Practical Projects for Self-Sufficiency a good guidebook. This is a book that’s not only chock full of ideas for living a low-tech self-sufficient lifestyle, growing your own food and all the rest, but it shows you how to build tools for that lifestyle.
The book has 25 chapters, each showing you how to make one object meant to help you live more self-sufficiently. Some projects are chicken coop construction, herb drying trays, composting bins, potato growing bins, solar ovens, and bee hives.
Each project has well written text, and abundant clear pictures, guiding you through the construction. Along the way you learn woodworking techniques, as each project is built from scratch out of sturdily thick wood.
Most of the projects are practical and well thought out, while a couple are done differently than what we have in our household. An example is the project to build a “manual clotheswasher”. The idea is instead of a washing machine, you would put clothes, soap and water into a bucket, and pump the clothes by hand. In our household we have a simple bucket, and a plunger to pump the clothes. The project in the book is more elaborate, with a long lever presumably so your arm doesn’t get tired pumping the clothes.
In other words, while we disagree with some of the solutions in the book, each of the projects does solve the problem being presented. Each project has the seed of a great solution, and you learn exactly how to construct the solution. Learning the woodworking techniques shown here will be very valuable down the road, as you try to build other projects.
- Bucharest gets 230mm Euros funding to purchase electric buses and streetcars - May 25, 2019
- Electrify America aims to simplify electric car charging - May 15, 2019
- Telling your neighbors about your electric car helps them over the hump - May 12, 2019
- Illinois EV tax echos question of road funding when gas taxes shrink - May 10, 2019
- Biden/Ukraine story getting more heat and suspiciousness - May 2, 2019
- Explosion at APS energy storage unit injures firefighters, casts doubt on energy storage - April 23, 2019
- No, Tesla is not phasing out the J1772 adapter - April 17, 2019
- Near destruction of the Notre Dame contains lesson in thinking ahead - April 16, 2019
- Nepotism bites VP Joe Biden as he starts 2020 Presidential run - April 13, 2019
- Tesla almost kills $35k Model 3, launches lease program, still shows misleading pricing - April 13, 2019