Lucas di Grassi has left his test driver post with the FIA Formula E organization, so that he can be a driver with one of the teams. The issue is that FIA rules don’t allow a series test driver to also be a participant in the series, and therefore to be in the series he has to join one of the teams.
According to a report on Thursday on German news site, Motorsport-Total, di Grassi is thought to be planning to race with the Audi Sport ABT Formula E team, because of his existing connections with Audi through Le Mans racing.
This leaves an opening at Formula E for a test driver. According to CurrentE, the Formula E office didn’t confirm di Grassi’s departure, but did confirm the rules quandary that would force di Grassi to leave.
Apparently, “The Stig” (Ben Collins) has said he’s going to join Formula E racing – as a development driver
Delighted to sign with @FIAformulaE development program & ready to unleash high voltage! @autosportnews @vwmotorsport @ST_Driving #electric
— Ben Collins / Stig (@BenCollinsStig) December 12, 2013
@Current_E @ofux1 @FIAformulaE no premature annunciation – but more official info to follow!
— Ben Collins / Stig (@BenCollinsStig) December 13, 2013
- Is there enough Grid Capacity for Hydrogen Fuel Cell or Battery Electric cars? - April 23, 2023
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021