There was a little bit of difference between the original calendar announced by Formula E, and the most recent calendar. Namely: Hong Kong was not to have a Formula E date, and was replaced by a date in Rio de Janeiro.
When the calendar was announced, I went “ho hum” because whatever places they (Formula E) choose for their races is up to them. But a reporter for China Daily was not satisfied with that, and dug into why Formula E was not coming to the place where he lived.
The reason he came up with is government bureaucrats afraid the Formula E race would block access to the Government Secretariat and PLA building.
A track built on Lung Wo Road was preferred, because it would have been a better track. However that route was rejected by the government for the aforementioned reason. Instead a track in the Central Harborfront area was chosen, but ultimately rejected by the FIA after 10 redesigns.
The principal reason for this is bureaucracy. Any proposals, whether urgent or not, or however beneficial to Hong Kong, are required to undergo all sorts of departmental examinations and approval – usually without exception. Because of the deteriorating political environment, different departments want to avoid criticism by taking on less projects. As a result, the government is not flexible enough to host events like Formula E.
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021