There was a little bit of difference between the original calendar announced by Formula E, and the most recent calendar. Namely: Hong Kong was not to have a Formula E date, and was replaced by a date in Rio de Janeiro.
When the calendar was announced, I went “ho hum” because whatever places they (Formula E) choose for their races is up to them. But a reporter for China Daily was not satisfied with that, and dug into why Formula E was not coming to the place where he lived.
The reason he came up with is government bureaucrats afraid the Formula E race would block access to the Government Secretariat and PLA building.
A track built on Lung Wo Road was preferred, because it would have been a better track. However that route was rejected by the government for the aforementioned reason. Instead a track in the Central Harborfront area was chosen, but ultimately rejected by the FIA after 10 redesigns.
The principal reason for this is bureaucracy. Any proposals, whether urgent or not, or however beneficial to Hong Kong, are required to undergo all sorts of departmental examinations and approval – usually without exception. Because of the deteriorating political environment, different departments want to avoid criticism by taking on less projects. As a result, the government is not flexible enough to host events like Formula E.
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020