As I noted a couple weeks ago, Tesla Motors is looking to hire engineers to develop automated driving features for their cars. That was based on finding a job posting that flat out said, Tesla looking to develop autonomous driving. Since then the job posting caught the attention of the national and international press and we found out some details.
Over on GreenTransportation.info I’ve posted a page containing the history that I could find about Tesla’s autonomous driving plans.
Some of the news coverage quotes Elon Musk saying that full autonomous driving is “a bridge too far” and would be far more expensive than necessary. He said similar things back in May after talking with Google about their driverless car technology. He described that technology as too expensive to implement, and that it should be based on optical cameras rather than RADAR/LIDAR systems.
That’s interesting but begs the question of why then did Tesla advertise a job opening for a RADAR/LIDAR engineer?
In any case – the goal is to cover 90% of driving with an “auto-pilot” system rather than to develop a fully autonomous driving system. Oh, and that it will be in 3 years, meaning the 2016-17 model years.
Tesla had talked with Google about adopting their technology, but as just said that partnership has been ruled out for the reasons just given.
- Highway design could decrease death and injury risk, if “we” chose smarter designs - March 28, 2015
- GM really did trademark “range anxiety”, only later to abandon that mark - March 25, 2015
- US Government releases new regulations on hydraulic fracturing, that some call “toothless” - March 20, 2015
- Tesla Motors magic pill to solve range anxiety doesn’t quite instill range confidence - March 19, 2015
- Update on Galena IL oil train – 21 cars involved, which were the supposedly safer CP1232 design - March 7, 2015
- Another oil bomb train – why are they shipping crude oil by train? – Symptoms of fossil fuel addiction - March 6, 2015
- Chevron relinquishes fracking in Romania, as part of broader pull-out from Eastern European fracking operations - February 22, 2015
- Answer anti- electric car articles with truth and pride – truth outshines all distortions - February 19, 2015
- Apple taking big risk on developing a car? Please, Apple, don’t go there! - February 16, 2015
- Toyota, Nissan, Honda working on Japanese fuel cell infrastructure for Japanese government - February 12, 2015