The Refuel Races are returning to Laguna Seca for the 5th year. I’ve covered that event for 3 out of the 4 years it has existed, and the 2012 race was awesome if only because of the sheer number of electric vehicles on the track at one time. The electric car portion in 2012 had over 30 entrants, 12+ of which were either Tesla Roadsters or Tesla Model S’s. It was simply amazing watching an electric car race where there was a serious traffic jam problem because of the number of cars on the track at the same time.
I believe it was Brian Hall (a long time electric race vehicle builder) who said to me, watching this spectacle, that it was almost certainly the largest number ever of high performance electric vehicles racing on a track at the same time.
For the 2013 event, signups are now open. It costs a bit of money to participate, and the amount is a fraction of what it would cost for a regular track day. The total number of entrants per class is being limited.
The company is encouraging anybody with an electric car to enter, and the 2011 and 2012 events had a number of Nissan Leaf owners participating.
- Is there enough Grid Capacity for Hydrogen Fuel Cell or Battery Electric cars? - April 23, 2023
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021