Rome is the second city to welcome the Formula E electric championship series following Rio di Janeiro’s announcement in August.
The first full season of Formula E racing, the 2014 Championship, will feature 10 urban races. Rather than being held at a race track, the Formula E series will be held in city centers. Because the Formula E cars are powered on electricity, the race won’t add to the toxic fume pollution in the city, nor add to noise pollution in the city.
Formula E Holdings say that a large number of cities are interested in hosting the Formula E series races. The list of venues will soon be proposed to the FIA for the first season (2014) and there will be further announcements of other cities in the coming weeks.
For Formula E to provide cars to teams should reduce the barrier-to-entry for teams to sign up and participate. At the same time, by being an ‘open’ series the door is open to a team to develop their own race cars. For example, when Toyota Motorsports set a lap record at the Nürburgring (or Nürburg Ring) in August 2011, with the EV P001, they claimed to have proved the TMG electric drive train was “ideal to power any future single-make electric motorsport series.” This is a broad hint that TMG intends to participate in a future electric race car series, and/or to supply parts to teams who wish to do so.
Jean Todt, FIA President, said: “It gives me great pleasure to be in Rome for this exciting announcement that the eternal city has expressed its firm interest to host a race in the Formula E 2014 championship calendar. The contrast between this innovative motorsport series and the rich ancient history of Rome is one I am sure the public and the media will be intrigued and enriched by.”
Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E Holdings said: “We are honored to have Rome on board as the first European city to host Formula E, since Italy is renowned for its motorsports passion, expertise and technical innovation. Clean urban mobility and sustainability are a priority for our Championship, and Formula E wants to become a showcase for these advances through an entertaining and all-inclusive spectacle. We are thankful to the Rome City Mayor and authorities for their enthusiastic welcome and support.”
- Apple using Tesla Megapack energy storage at California Flats solar farm - April 1, 2021
- Tesla Supercharger network finally expanding into Romania - March 31, 2021
- Volkswagen USA LIED about changing its name to Voltswagen - March 31, 2021
- Apple moving 110 suppliers to renewable energy solutions - March 31, 2021
- BMW makes deal for lithium sourced from salt lakes in Argentina - March 30, 2021
- Kia introduces EV6, with 500 km range, ultra-fast 800v charging - March 30, 2021
- Volkswagen renames itself Voltswagen to demonstrate EV embrace - March 30, 2021
- Big Lie: Wind turbines cause Texas to freeze during massive winter storm - February 17, 2021
- Shell announces shift to renewable energy, peak oil production in 2019 - February 16, 2021
- Electric Last Mile Solutions seeks to electrify delivery van market - February 12, 2021