The Buckeye Electric Motorcycle Race Team set an East Coast Timing Association (ECTA) speed record for electric motorcycles, July 8, 2012. The record speed was 144.352mph at the East Coast Timing Association Ohio Mile Track located in Wilmington, Ohio. The team is claiming to now hold the title of fastest collegiate electric motorcycle, but I believe that should be contextualized by saying “within the East Coast Timing Association”. I believe there are collegiate electric motorcycle teams which have set faster times at Bonneville salt flat events.
This beat the teams 2011 record of 112.349mph by 30 miles/hr. The new record is in the “Altered Electric A3” class.
The increase was due primarily to having borrowed a FlightPower lithium cobalt oxide battery pack from Lawless Industries. Shawn Lawless is an electric drag race vehicle builder and racer, and has been supporting this team for a couple years.
Asst. Prof. Marcello Canova, faculty advisor, “The latest ECTA speed record is a fantastic achievement for the team, and an important learning experience for the design of the new electric race motorcycle. Most of all, it shows the skills, ingenuity, and resilience of this student group, able to build an electric bike from ground up in less than two years and achieve two speed records.”
The teams goals are now moving to: a) build a new bike that can go faster than 150 miles/hr (a feat few electric motorcycles have done), and b) race in the Isle of Man TT ZERO race.
- Is there enough Grid Capacity for Hydrogen Fuel Cell or Battery Electric cars? - April 23, 2023
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021