Until now the story regarding the development of zero carbon footprint motorcycle racing was simple. The TTXGP organization, led by Azhar Hussain, was developing the race series, collaborating with several motorcycle racing governing bodies to establish the rules. This included the FIM and its US (AMA) and UK (ACU) affiliate organizations (see: TTXGP UK Championship 2010 agreement, and other TTXGP news). On Nov 19 the FIM announced the launch of its own “alternate energy” motorcycle racing series named E-Power. That announcement began with the words “Concerned about…” which, reading between the lines, implies a conflict between FIM and TTXGP. The TTXGP issued a press release on Nov 23 expressing disappointment and saying that TTXGP’s plans are unaffected by FIM’s actions.
The TTXGP is a series of zero carbon motorcycle races meant to inspire electric vehicle technology development. They held several exhibition racing events during 2009 (see Electric motorcycles at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days (eGrandPrix/TTXGP)) and have a slate of races lined up in the US and UK (see TTXGP & eGrandPrix electric motorcycle race series news).
The FIM e-Power International Championship is described as “events” to be held during the “opening race of a few rounds of our prestigious championships” in 2010. The tentative schedule is four “events”, on April 18 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France, possibly at a race at Albacete in Spain, on Sept 12 at Nevers-Mangy Cours in France, and possibly on Nov 14 at a race in Doha Qatar. The press release does not mention TTXGP unlike other prior FIM Alternate Energy Working Group (AEWG) communications that prominently featured TTXGP’s activities. The AEWG page contains a paragraph describing their electric motorcycle racing series, naming Mr Azhar Hussain as the leader of the project. However the paragraph comes word-for-word from their June 24 press release implying this page has not been updated.
Alex Goldenberg, the AEWG coordinator, responded to queries stating “We have the greatest respect for Mr Azhar Hussain and his projects and we are open to working with him in the future if circumstances permit” and “We really hope that the FIM E-Power International Championship and the other events for electric motorcycles will boost and promote the use of alternative energies at an international and national level and we are convinced that all these events will meet successful participation and interest from the public and the media”.
The TTXGP expressed disappointment that “despite our best efforts over many months to establish a truly inclusive world series, the FIM has decided to launch one independently of TTXGP”. The previously announced calendar of events are established in cooperation with national racing bodies, the AMA and ACU, and are unaffected by FIM’s decision. The TTXGP team has been working closely since its founding with a long list of partner organizations, including the FIM. In the video below this writer interviewed Sadie Homer in July at the TTXGP event held during the AMA Vintage Motorcycle days event in Ohio. This interview goes over the technical developments conducted by the TTXGP and partner organizations to establish electric motorcycle racing regulations.
- Clinton claims, in leaked e-mails, anti-fracking groups funded by Putin (Russia) - October 12, 2016
- Dieselgate-like problem found in television sets by new NRDC report - September 22, 2016
- The 238 mile range Chevy Bolt is not a threat to Tesla Motors, Tesla is a threat to itself - September 14, 2016
- BMW, VW, ChargePoint claim to finish East/West charging corridors rings hollow - September 14, 2016
- Chinese Model S auto-pilot crash says we shouldn’t rely on autopilot mode, yet - September 14, 2016
- TI enabling smart EVSE’s by adding WiFi to charging station reference design - August 30, 2016
- Do we need a 500 mile range Tesla or other electric car? - August 27, 2016
- ChargePoint et al argues PG&E’s charging station plan is anti-competitive - August 10, 2016
- Solar Impulse demonstrates implementation of the clean energy paradigm we deserve - July 26, 2016
- Solar Impulse makes history as the first around-the-world solar-electric airplane flight, 40,000+ km with no fuel - July 25, 2016