Until now the story regarding the development of zero carbon footprint motorcycle racing was simple. The TTXGP organization, led by Azhar Hussain, was developing the race series, collaborating with several motorcycle racing governing bodies to establish the rules. This included the FIM and its US (AMA) and UK (ACU) affiliate organizations (see: TTXGP UK Championship 2010 agreement, and other TTXGP news). On Nov 19 the FIM announced the launch of its own “alternate energy” motorcycle racing series named E-Power. That announcement began with the words “Concerned about…” which, reading between the lines, implies a conflict between FIM and TTXGP. The TTXGP issued a press release on Nov 23 expressing disappointment and saying that TTXGP’s plans are unaffected by FIM’s actions.
The TTXGP is a series of zero carbon motorcycle races meant to inspire electric vehicle technology development. They held several exhibition racing events during 2009 (see Electric motorcycles at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days (eGrandPrix/TTXGP)) and have a slate of races lined up in the US and UK (see TTXGP & eGrandPrix electric motorcycle race series news).
The FIM e-Power International Championship is described as “events” to be held during the “opening race of a few rounds of our prestigious championships” in 2010. The tentative schedule is four “events”, on April 18 at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France, possibly at a race at Albacete in Spain, on Sept 12 at Nevers-Mangy Cours in France, and possibly on Nov 14 at a race in Doha Qatar. The press release does not mention TTXGP unlike other prior FIM Alternate Energy Working Group (AEWG) communications that prominently featured TTXGP’s activities. The AEWG page contains a paragraph describing their electric motorcycle racing series, naming Mr Azhar Hussain as the leader of the project. However the paragraph comes word-for-word from their June 24 press release implying this page has not been updated.
Alex Goldenberg, the AEWG coordinator, responded to queries stating “We have the greatest respect for Mr Azhar Hussain and his projects and we are open to working with him in the future if circumstances permit” and “We really hope that the FIM E-Power International Championship and the other events for electric motorcycles will boost and promote the use of alternative energies at an international and national level and we are convinced that all these events will meet successful participation and interest from the public and the media”.
The TTXGP expressed disappointment that “despite our best efforts over many months to establish a truly inclusive world series, the FIM has decided to launch one independently of TTXGP”. The previously announced calendar of events are established in cooperation with national racing bodies, the AMA and ACU, and are unaffected by FIM’s decision. The TTXGP team has been working closely since its founding with a long list of partner organizations, including the FIM. In the video below this writer interviewed Sadie Homer in July at the TTXGP event held during the AMA Vintage Motorcycle days event in Ohio. This interview goes over the technical developments conducted by the TTXGP and partner organizations to establish electric motorcycle racing regulations.
- Tesla Motors delivers hardcore smackdown on trucking and supercar industries with Semi and Roadster 2 - November 16, 2017
- Tesla’s Class 8 electric truck, first showing due tomorrow, is important, but hardly the second coming of Christ - November 15, 2017
- Gov Brown tells protesters he’ll put them in the ground, that CA should rely on its own oil versus Venezuela’s - November 14, 2017
- Can Bitcoin/Blockchain technology democratize the renewable energy industry? - November 9, 2017
- ABB challenges Tesla Supercharger network with 150 kiloWatt CHAdeMO/CCS DCFC charging station - October 4, 2017
- Dept of Energy moving forward with energy storage research projects, doubling down on renewable energy - September 18, 2017
- Nissan introduces 2018 Nissan Leaf, stressing autonomous driving over electric vehicle technology - September 5, 2017
- Jimmy Carter’s Crisis of Confidence speech was political disaster, but oh if we’d only stuck to his plan … - September 4, 2017
- Trump Administration fiddles in Washington while Houston drowns under extreme weather hurricane - August 28, 2017
- Is Tesla painting itself into a corner because Gigafactory only builds Lithium-ION cells? - August 14, 2017