Following an explosion at the Air Products hydrogen processing facility in Santa Clara, hydrogen refueling stations across the SF Bay Area continue to be shut down. The explosion badly damaged, or destroyed, hydrogen production equipment and transportation trucks which served to carry hydrogen to refueling stations. Hydrogen refueling stations in the SF Bay Area have since shut down due to a lack of fuel. But, as I was writing this report news broke of another hydrogen refueling explosion, in Oslo Norway. In this case a public hydrogen refueling station exploded, and burned for a couple hours.
To remind – on June 1, 2019, the Air Products facility in Santa Clara exploded. Going by news reports several hydrogen transportation trucks were heavily damaged, and possibly some equipment at the site was damaged or destroyed.
The image leading this article shows the status of one of the SF Bay Area’s hydrogen refueling stations. That was captured on June 10, or 9 days after the explosion at the facility. Several other SF Bay Area hydrogen refueling stations show the same status. And, I’ve heard a rumor that some hydrogen stations in Southern California are also shut down as True Zero scrambles to get some hydrogen to stations in the SF Bay Area. Indeed the California Fuel Cell Partnership map does show closed stations in both the SF Bay Area and Southern California.
Here’s some detailed pictures I found on Twitter.
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020