The layoffs recently announced for Tesla is especially focusing on residential sales through what had been Solar City outposts in Home Depot stores. Solar City had famously sold its systems through both direct sales and through sales partners stationed in Home Depot stores. According to reports, Tesla will close about a dozen installation facilities as part of this round of layoffs.
Reuters posted a report on Thursday citing internal company documents and interviews with several Tesla employees. It said that Tesla will close a dozen installation facilities, and end its relationship with Home Depot. That is consistent with an earlier internal letter published by Bloomberg News saying that some former Solar City operations will be closing.
According to an internal company list reviewed by Reuters, 60 installation facilities will remain open, and that either 13 or 14 facilities will close. While Solar City and Tesla are based in the SF Bay Area, the solar installation business had installation centers scattered around the country.
Tesla spokespeople told Reuters reporters that the level of cuts – by number of employees – in the Tesla Energy business (formerly Solar City) were to be in line with cuts in the automotive business. Therefore Tesla would have us to think that cuts were applied evenly across the board, and did not focus on specific business units, and that Tesla is not therefore scaling back on certain businesses.
Reuters says the internal letter listed locations for closure in California, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Arizona and Delaware. Some personnel at closed sites are being transferred to other sites. Therefore it is difficult, according to Reuters, to determine whats the extent of of job cuts in solar sales at Tesla versus other areas of the business.
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018
- California’s extreme wildfires this week are a Climate Change story - November 18, 2018
- Could some homes in Paradise CA have been saved with on-site energy storage systems? - November 17, 2018
- Paradise is destroyed while Pres. Trump lies about climate change and California - November 11, 2018
- Harley-Davidson promises big things in electric motorcycles, gives peak at 2020 LiveWire electric bike - November 6, 2018
- Expensive taxi rides brought us Uber/Lyft, but should we be driven by amateur drivers? - November 2, 2018