The layoffs recently announced for Tesla is especially focusing on residential sales through what had been Solar City outposts in Home Depot stores. Solar City had famously sold its systems through both direct sales and through sales partners stationed in Home Depot stores. According to reports, Tesla will close about a dozen installation facilities as part of this round of layoffs.
Reuters posted a report on Thursday citing internal company documents and interviews with several Tesla employees. It said that Tesla will close a dozen installation facilities, and end its relationship with Home Depot. That is consistent with an earlier internal letter published by Bloomberg News saying that some former Solar City operations will be closing.
According to an internal company list reviewed by Reuters, 60 installation facilities will remain open, and that either 13 or 14 facilities will close. While Solar City and Tesla are based in the SF Bay Area, the solar installation business had installation centers scattered around the country.
Tesla spokespeople told Reuters reporters that the level of cuts – by number of employees – in the Tesla Energy business (formerly Solar City) were to be in line with cuts in the automotive business. Therefore Tesla would have us to think that cuts were applied evenly across the board, and did not focus on specific business units, and that Tesla is not therefore scaling back on certain businesses.
Reuters says the internal letter listed locations for closure in California, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Arizona and Delaware. Some personnel at closed sites are being transferred to other sites. Therefore it is difficult, according to Reuters, to determine whats the extent of of job cuts in solar sales at Tesla versus other areas of the business.
- Cameron Rogers retakes Laguna Seca electric car laptime record with Tesla Model 3 Performance - September 16, 2018
- Tesla no longer a boutique car maker, is outselling major manufacturers like Porsche - September 13, 2018
- What electric car would I buy today, on the occasion of canceling a Tesla Model 3 order - September 11, 2018
- Lucid Motors definitively smashes Laguna Seca lap speed record with production-intent car - September 6, 2018
- Ford promises serious electric-drive intentions, teasing an Electric Mustang and more - September 6, 2018
- Jaguar i-Pace barely beats electric car lap record at Laguna Seca, set by a Tesla Model 3 at REFUEL 2018 - August 23, 2018
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk stands accused of believing his own press releases - August 18, 2018
- Trump Administration moves to cancel clean car standards, undoing Obama’s CAFE win - August 2, 2018
- Rich Rebuilds and Tesla’s opinion on the Right to Repair - August 2, 2018
- Scott Pruitt resigns as EPA Administrator, proving someone can be too corrupt for Trump - July 5, 2018