The layoffs recently announced for Tesla is especially focusing on residential sales through what had been Solar City outposts in Home Depot stores. Solar City had famously sold its systems through both direct sales and through sales partners stationed in Home Depot stores. According to reports, Tesla will close about a dozen installation facilities as part of this round of layoffs.
Reuters posted a report on Thursday citing internal company documents and interviews with several Tesla employees. It said that Tesla will close a dozen installation facilities, and end its relationship with Home Depot. That is consistent with an earlier internal letter published by Bloomberg News saying that some former Solar City operations will be closing.
According to an internal company list reviewed by Reuters, 60 installation facilities will remain open, and that either 13 or 14 facilities will close. While Solar City and Tesla are based in the SF Bay Area, the solar installation business had installation centers scattered around the country.
Tesla spokespeople told Reuters reporters that the level of cuts – by number of employees – in the Tesla Energy business (formerly Solar City) were to be in line with cuts in the automotive business. Therefore Tesla would have us to think that cuts were applied evenly across the board, and did not focus on specific business units, and that Tesla is not therefore scaling back on certain businesses.
Reuters says the internal letter listed locations for closure in California, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Arizona and Delaware. Some personnel at closed sites are being transferred to other sites. Therefore it is difficult, according to Reuters, to determine whats the extent of of job cuts in solar sales at Tesla versus other areas of the business.
- Electrify America aims to simplify electric car charging - May 15, 2019
- Telling your neighbors about your electric car helps them over the hump - May 12, 2019
- Illinois EV tax echos question of road funding when gas taxes shrink - May 10, 2019
- Biden/Ukraine story getting more heat and suspiciousness - May 2, 2019
- Explosion at APS energy storage unit injures firefighters, casts doubt on energy storage - April 23, 2019
- No, Tesla is not phasing out the J1772 adapter - April 17, 2019
- Near destruction of the Notre Dame contains lesson in thinking ahead - April 16, 2019
- Nepotism bites VP Joe Biden as he starts 2020 Presidential run - April 13, 2019
- Tesla almost kills $35k Model 3, launches lease program, still shows misleading pricing - April 13, 2019
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk giving flawed charging advice on Twitter - April 11, 2019