A single solitary sentence in Tesla’s announcement about doubling the Supercharger network could have a significant impact for urban-dwelling prospective electric car owners. Those who live in “multi-unit-dwellings”, like apartment or condominium complexes, usually have a hard time finding charging. Typically the landlord or home owners association puts up barriers to installing a charging station, and most will give up on their quest for an electric car.
What did Tesla say? “In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.”
So far Tesla has located the Supercharger stations primarily along highway corridors. The goal is facilitating long distance travel, and many Tesla vehicle owners take Road Trips with their electric car.
This statement signals a change in policy. Some Supercharger stations will be located elsewhere, not along major highways, but in urban centers. The stations along highways are seen here as servicing people taking long trips. By contrast, supercharger stations located away from highways, in urban centers, will service “local Tesla drivers” for their local travel.
- Cameron Rogers retakes Laguna Seca electric car laptime record with Tesla Model 3 Performance - September 16, 2018
- Tesla no longer a boutique car maker, is outselling major manufacturers like Porsche - September 13, 2018
- What electric car would I buy today, on the occasion of canceling a Tesla Model 3 order - September 11, 2018
- Lucid Motors definitively smashes Laguna Seca lap speed record with production-intent car - September 6, 2018
- Ford promises serious electric-drive intentions, teasing an Electric Mustang and more - September 6, 2018
- Jaguar i-Pace barely beats electric car lap record at Laguna Seca, set by a Tesla Model 3 at REFUEL 2018 - August 23, 2018
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk stands accused of believing his own press releases - August 18, 2018
- Trump Administration moves to cancel clean car standards, undoing Obama’s CAFE win - August 2, 2018
- Rich Rebuilds and Tesla’s opinion on the Right to Repair - August 2, 2018
- Scott Pruitt resigns as EPA Administrator, proving someone can be too corrupt for Trump - July 5, 2018