A few days ago a Tesla Model S crash in Germany, on the A93 between Abensberg and Siegenburg, gave the local (volunteer) fire crew a chance to practice emergency recovery of a crashed electric car. What’s nice for the rest of us is they posted a writeup along with detailed pictures of what they did. The car was badly enough damaged the firefighters wanted to disable the battery pack. Tesla Motors has prepared these cars with stickers giving instructions to do so.
But before we get to that – it’s thankfully true that the driver of this car was not badly injured.
The Abensberg fire crew wrote that with an EV you don’t just turn off the key, there’s a high voltage system that must be disabled. Otherwise the firefighters would risk electrocution. That’s their words, and I suppose it means they’re ignoring the fire and explosion risk of gasoline, eh?
From the pictures we gather that Tesla Motors left procedure instructions inside the car using informational stickers. And that there are two or three places where cables can be safely disconnected. At least one of which involves using wire cutters to disconnect wires.
- Romania Electric car sales grew 165% from 2017 to 2018 – state of EV adoption in Romania - October 23, 2018
- Google moving in on Plugshare’s turf, adds EV charging station data to Google Maps - October 17, 2018
- Cameron Rogers retakes Laguna Seca electric car laptime record with Tesla Model 3 Performance - September 16, 2018
- Tesla no longer a boutique car maker, is outselling major manufacturers like Porsche - September 13, 2018
- What electric car would I buy today, on the occasion of canceling a Tesla Model 3 order - September 11, 2018
- Lucid Motors definitively smashes Laguna Seca lap speed record with production-intent car - September 6, 2018
- Ford promises serious electric-drive intentions, teasing an Electric Mustang and more - September 6, 2018
- Jaguar i-Pace barely beats electric car lap record at Laguna Seca, set by a Tesla Model 3 at REFUEL 2018 - August 23, 2018
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk stands accused of believing his own press releases - August 18, 2018
- Trump Administration moves to cancel clean car standards, undoing Obama’s CAFE win - August 2, 2018