A few days ago a Tesla Model S crash in Germany, on the A93 between Abensberg and Siegenburg, gave the local (volunteer) fire crew a chance to practice emergency recovery of a crashed electric car. What’s nice for the rest of us is they posted a writeup along with detailed pictures of what they did. The car was badly enough damaged the firefighters wanted to disable the battery pack. Tesla Motors has prepared these cars with stickers giving instructions to do so.
But before we get to that – it’s thankfully true that the driver of this car was not badly injured.
The Abensberg fire crew wrote that with an EV you don’t just turn off the key, there’s a high voltage system that must be disabled. Otherwise the firefighters would risk electrocution. That’s their words, and I suppose it means they’re ignoring the fire and explosion risk of gasoline, eh?
From the pictures we gather that Tesla Motors left procedure instructions inside the car using informational stickers. And that there are two or three places where cables can be safely disconnected. At least one of which involves using wire cutters to disconnect wires.
- CharIN alliance meets on Tesla’s doorstep, presents CCS as the best DC Fast Charging system for electric cars - March 20, 2018
- US Govt warns Russia attacking US energy sector, renewable industry responds with cybersecurity working group - March 16, 2018
- Tesla Motors versus the other Car Makers and the future of the Car industry - February 25, 2018
- Tesla delays deliveries angering large number of fans, destroying credibility? - February 9, 2018
- Tesla Motors running at a loss for another quarter doesn’t mean Tesla’s imminent collapse into bankruptcy - February 7, 2018
- Electrify America and Greenlots to build massive country-wide electric car charging network - January 24, 2018
- Tesla puts golden handcuffs on Elon Musk for at least 10 years of leadership - January 23, 2018
- First non-Tesla “supercharger” providing DC fast charging for Tesla electric cars without adapter - January 22, 2018
- Toyota avoids seeming conflict of interest by helping the EPA streamline management practices - January 17, 2018
- Tesla Motors delivers hardcore smackdown on trucking and supercar industries with Semi and Roadster 2 - November 16, 2017