At a tactical level the high drama of the Refugee crisis in Europe is caused by many in Europe refusing to take in the refugees. It might simply be the cost of supporting refugees once they’ve arrived, or it might be racism. As I’ve written over the last couple days, my opinion is that this refugee crisis is a result of our collective dependence on crude oil to run our machines, and the subsequent belief of Western governments and oil companies that we must “meddle” in Middle Eastern politics in order to ensure access to crude oil.
I found the following video, from May 27, 2015, in which Amy Goodman (Democracy Now) interviewed Wikileaks Editor Julian Assange about secret documents he’d obtained describing European Union plans to destroy people smuggling boats in Libya. These boats are one of the ways refugee’s are making it from North Africa into Europe. By destroying the boats one hoped-for result is to prevent refugee’s from leaving North Africa and therefore not making it into the news by either drowning at sea or arriving on Europe’s shores.
Assange spends most of the interview talking about the precedent which would be set if the European Union violated Libya’s sovereignty to set foot on Libyan territory and destroy boats. He suggests this precedent could be a strategy for a deeper goal …
Namely, to establish a beachhead in Libya and therefore have better access to Libya’s oil reserves.
He goes on to talk about the overthrow of Libya’s former President Ghaddafi a few years ago. In the planning of that action, EU/US planners negotiated with Libyan rebels how much oil would flow to European countries as a result of toppling Libya’s government.
- Clinton claims, in leaked e-mails, anti-fracking groups funded by Putin (Russia) - October 12, 2016
- Dieselgate-like problem found in television sets by new NRDC report - September 22, 2016
- The 238 mile range Chevy Bolt is not a threat to Tesla Motors, Tesla is a threat to itself - September 14, 2016
- BMW, VW, ChargePoint claim to finish East/West charging corridors rings hollow - September 14, 2016
- Chinese Model S auto-pilot crash says we shouldn’t rely on autopilot mode, yet - September 14, 2016
- TI enabling smart EVSE’s by adding WiFi to charging station reference design - August 30, 2016
- Do we need a 500 mile range Tesla or other electric car? - August 27, 2016
- ChargePoint et al argues PG&E’s charging station plan is anti-competitive - August 10, 2016
- Solar Impulse demonstrates implementation of the clean energy paradigm we deserve - July 26, 2016
- Solar Impulse makes history as the first around-the-world solar-electric airplane flight, 40,000+ km with no fuel - July 25, 2016