At a tactical level the high drama of the Refugee crisis in Europe is caused by many in Europe refusing to take in the refugees. It might simply be the cost of supporting refugees once they’ve arrived, or it might be racism. As I’ve written over the last couple days, my opinion is that this refugee crisis is a result of our collective dependence on crude oil to run our machines, and the subsequent belief of Western governments and oil companies that we must “meddle” in Middle Eastern politics in order to ensure access to crude oil.
I found the following video, from May 27, 2015, in which Amy Goodman (Democracy Now) interviewed Wikileaks Editor Julian Assange about secret documents he’d obtained describing European Union plans to destroy people smuggling boats in Libya. These boats are one of the ways refugee’s are making it from North Africa into Europe. By destroying the boats one hoped-for result is to prevent refugee’s from leaving North Africa and therefore not making it into the news by either drowning at sea or arriving on Europe’s shores.
Assange spends most of the interview talking about the precedent which would be set if the European Union violated Libya’s sovereignty to set foot on Libyan territory and destroy boats. He suggests this precedent could be a strategy for a deeper goal …
Namely, to establish a beachhead in Libya and therefore have better access to Libya’s oil reserves.
He goes on to talk about the overthrow of Libya’s former President Ghaddafi a few years ago. In the planning of that action, EU/US planners negotiated with Libyan rebels how much oil would flow to European countries as a result of toppling Libya’s government.
- Why doesn’t Tesla install CHAdeMO or ComboChargingSystem charging stations? - March 22, 2019
- Tesla plans to keep more stores open, re-increase prices, backtracking on previous plan - March 11, 2019
- Imperial Beach CA backs off from “managed retreat” from the ocean that was their plan for sea level rise response - March 7, 2019
- Tesla closes stores to raise cash to pay off convertible bonds? - March 5, 2019
- Tesla does end-run around states prohibiting direct car sales, and starts shipping $35k Model 3 - February 28, 2019
- Trump Administration cuts off “negotiations” with California over clean air rules - February 21, 2019
- Amazon investing in Rivian, GM possibly to follow - February 15, 2019
- Pres. Trump selling Paradise to coal baron who donated money to his campaign - February 13, 2019
- GM, Amazon, looking to invest in Rivian, no sign of GM/Tesla EV truck joint venture - February 12, 2019
- Tesla’s goals may require rumored joint venture with GM on electric pickup truck - February 12, 2019