Many of us are certain that the Iraq War was not about “fighting terrorism” but about the Need for Oil. Specifically, liberating Iraq’s oil fields from control by corrupt nationalized oil companies, and ensuring that Western oil companies have access to Iraq’s oil fields. While the story about the Iraq War is old, the invasion occurred over 11 years ago, the desperate need for oil is still with us because North America has not made any serious attempt to free itself from fossil fuel dependence.
This movie was aired in 2004, and goes over evidence around the Iraq War saying it was launched in order to get at the Oil. Therefore the evidence is “old” by current standards, but it’s still very illustrative of the entire problem we face regarding the desperate need for oil because “we” collectively refuse to take serious action to end fossil fuel dependence.
Geopolitical domination of the region (the Middle East).
In one segment the video claims that Western domestic oil supplies (Europe and North America) will “run dry” by 2010, that China’s will run dry by 2018, etc. It predicts Oil wars will erupt as a result.
While that result – oil wars – is a likely result of Peak Oil, history didn’t quite play out as predicted by the video.
Thanks to Fracking, North America is looking at an Oil renaissance. But this is on the back of horrid environmental consequences, the risk of fracking-induced earthquakes, and continued dependence on fossil fuels.
A telling point about why Iraq is about access to Oil is Dick Cheney’s National Energy Policy Development Group, also known as the Energy Task Force, set up in the first day’s of the Bush Presidency. That group was primarily concerned with Oil supplies in the Middle East because that’s the primary remaining location for fossil oil.
- Highway design could decrease death and injury risk, if “we” chose smarter designs - March 28, 2015
- GM really did trademark “range anxiety”, only later to abandon that mark - March 25, 2015
- US Government releases new regulations on hydraulic fracturing, that some call “toothless” - March 20, 2015
- Tesla Motors magic pill to solve range anxiety doesn’t quite instill range confidence - March 19, 2015
- Update on Galena IL oil train – 21 cars involved, which were the supposedly safer CP1232 design - March 7, 2015
- Another oil bomb train – why are they shipping crude oil by train? – Symptoms of fossil fuel addiction - March 6, 2015
- Chevron relinquishes fracking in Romania, as part of broader pull-out from Eastern European fracking operations - February 22, 2015
- Answer anti- electric car articles with truth and pride – truth outshines all distortions - February 19, 2015
- Apple taking big risk on developing a car? Please, Apple, don’t go there! - February 16, 2015
- Toyota, Nissan, Honda working on Japanese fuel cell infrastructure for Japanese government - February 12, 2015