Tesla Motors today released results for Q3 2013 showing they exceeded sales estimates by a big margin, but as a business they’re still running at a loss (on a GAAP basis). Tesla’s management is taking pains to show both non-GAAP and GAAP financial results, the only ones that count, hence what I look at as a reporter, is the GAAP results. The difference arises from the “lease accounting for our resale value guarantee (RVG) and employee stock based compensation as a result of the increase in our stock price last year.”
The company sold 22,477 Model S’s over the year, when their estimates had been 21,000 sales. Additionally they had significant drive train revenue from both Toyota and Daimler, and some revenue from regulatory stuff. No revenue came from ZEV credits, as expected.
For 2014 they plan to increase Model S production to over 35,000 cars, and implement sales in China and other places. Current sales are in the USA, Canada, and parts of Europe.
The Model X is supposed to start limited production at the end of 2014, with production ramping up during 2015. That’s the pattern they followed for the Model S, and it’s worked well for them so far.
I don’t have time to properly write this up – so here’s the shareholder letter they sent.
- Amazon investing in Rivian, GM possibly to follow - February 15, 2019
- Pres. Trump selling Paradise to coal baron who donated money to his campaign - February 13, 2019
- GM, Amazon, looking to invest in Rivian, no sign of GM/Tesla EV truck joint venture - February 12, 2019
- Tesla’s goals may require rumored joint venture with GM on electric pickup truck - February 12, 2019
- Green New Deal outline proposed in US Congress - February 7, 2019
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018