Palo Alto took a step closer on Tuesday to requiring that new housing include a 50 amp circuit for electric car charging outlets. The City Council Policy and Services Committee unanimously recommended that the City Council adopt the proposal. However, Palo Alto Online slams the move saying “a new law that will force home builders to go along for the ride.”
Santa Clara County is, according to the figures I’ve seen, has the highest rate of electric vehicle adoption in the US. The San Francisco Bay Area is routinely listed as the leading area for EV sales. When you break that down per county Santa Clara County is the top region for EV sales with the SF Bay Area.
Therefore, the City of Palo Alto is responding to electric vehicle adoption in their city. Why, then, is one of the city’s news organizations slamming the city for doing this?
The article gives some data indicating that the move is very wise.
The cost to build the EV charging circuit (50 amp 240 volt) during house construction is described as $500, and that if the wiring is done as a retrofit afterward the cost is described as 10x that amount ($5000). Hence, future electric vehicle owners in Palo Alto will face much smaller costs than they do today.
- Highway design could decrease death and injury risk, if “we” chose smarter designs - March 28, 2015
- GM really did trademark “range anxiety”, only later to abandon that mark - March 25, 2015
- US Government releases new regulations on hydraulic fracturing, that some call “toothless” - March 20, 2015
- Tesla Motors magic pill to solve range anxiety doesn’t quite instill range confidence - March 19, 2015
- Update on Galena IL oil train – 21 cars involved, which were the supposedly safer CP1232 design - March 7, 2015
- Another oil bomb train – why are they shipping crude oil by train? – Symptoms of fossil fuel addiction - March 6, 2015
- Chevron relinquishes fracking in Romania, as part of broader pull-out from Eastern European fracking operations - February 22, 2015
- Answer anti- electric car articles with truth and pride – truth outshines all distortions - February 19, 2015
- Apple taking big risk on developing a car? Please, Apple, don’t go there! - February 16, 2015
- Toyota, Nissan, Honda working on Japanese fuel cell infrastructure for Japanese government - February 12, 2015