The US Energy Department announced on Thursday seventeen new projects, for $16 million total investment, to capture energy from waves, tides and currents. The goal is to increase America’s renewable energy portfolio, increase the power production and reliability of wave and tidal devices, and help gather valuable data on how deployed devices interact with the surrounding environment.
“Wave and tidal energy represent a large, untapped resource for the United States, and responsible development of this clean, renewable energy source is an important part of our all-of-the-above energy strategy,” said Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy David Danielson.
Tidal and wave energy is a clean, renewable resource that can be harnessed wherever changing tides, waves, or currents move a significant volume of water. Many location along the coasts are potential energy resources, with the right equipment.
The DOE estimates there is up to 1,400 terawatt-hours of generating capacity per year from all of America’s tidal and wave energy resources. Developing just a small fraction of that resource would be enough to supply clean renewable electricity to millions of homes.
The projects break down as follows:
- Eight projects, $13.5 million, cover building durable, efficient wave and tidal devices that reduce overall costs and maximize the amount of energy captured.
- Nine projects, $2.4 million, cover gathering and analyzing environmental data from wave and tidal projects as well as potential development areas.
The projects are described as being part of President Obama’s all-of-the-above strategy to develop every American energy resource.
Source: Department of Energy
- Nissan delays 60 kiloWatt-hour Leaf, but moves forward with EV energy ecosystem plans - November 28, 2018
- Rivian unveils an all-electric pickup truck for the “adventure vehicle” market - November 27, 2018
- GM cancels Chevy Volt production while Tesla Model 3 sales go through the roof - November 26, 2018
- American climate refugees living in tents and cars after Paradise destroyed by fire - November 21, 2018
- Ghosn to be kicked out of Nissan, arrested for securities/compensation fraud - November 19, 2018
- California’s extreme wildfires this week are a Climate Change story - November 18, 2018
- Could some homes in Paradise CA have been saved with on-site energy storage systems? - November 17, 2018
- Paradise is destroyed while Pres. Trump lies about climate change and California - November 11, 2018
- Harley-Davidson promises big things in electric motorcycles, gives peak at 2020 LiveWire electric bike - November 6, 2018
- Expensive taxi rides brought us Uber/Lyft, but should we be driven by amateur drivers? - November 2, 2018