The Formula E technology subsidiary, Spark Racing Technology, announced the other day another partnership with a technology provider. The new deal is with Williams Advanced Engineering, who will design and assemble the battery packs for the SRT 01E.
This is the electric race car that will be used in the Formula E 2014 season. SPARK is slated to build 42 electric race cars for use by the teams.
Williams Advanced Engineering is part of the Williams group which includes the Williams F1 Team. That team is one of the pioneers of hybrid systems and their innovative technologies have been extremely successful on the international scene.
The consortium that SPARK has built includes McLaren, Renault and Dallara. McLaren Electronic Systems will supply the transmission, electronics and powertrain for the car, while Technical Partner Renault SAS will use its vast technological expertise to optimize the electric and electronic layout and performance of the powertrain. Meanwhile, leading Italian firm Dallara will produce the chassis with tyres being supplied by Tyre Partner Michelin.
“We are delighted to be partnering with Spark Racing Technology to introduce our battery technology into their cars for next year’s FIA Formula E Championship,” said Kirsty Andrew, Head of Commercial Operations, Williams Advanced Engineering. “This is an exciting new racing series that will play a key role in highlighting the growing relevance of technologies originally developed for motorsport to the wider world. Energy efficiency is an important issue for Williams and whilst our work in this field is now spanning a number of market sectors beyond racing, motorsport will always be the ultimate proving ground for our technologies. Electric vehicles are becoming an increasingly important part of the automotive industry and Formula E is the perfect opportunity for Williams to validate the latest developments in battery technology.”
Frédéric Vasseur President of Spark Racing Technology added: “I am delighted to welcome Williams into our new project. The vast experience from Williams and especially from Williams Advanced Engineering in the field of hybrid systems and electric engine power, guarantees quality. Spark Racing Technology is extremely proud to bring together some of the biggest names in motorsport and expects no less from Williams as they accompany us in the highest level of the first championship for electric cars.”
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020