Why do I cover electric racing news? (a sister site to Long Tail Pipe is Electric Race News) It’s because I know about the general stereotype that electric vehicles can only be slow boring ugly golf carts. This isn’t true, but that’s the stereotype, and electric racing is a way to counter the stereotype and catch the attention of people who otherwise might scoff at electric vehicles. The gearhead who sees an electric motorcycle going 170 miles/hr around Daytona International Raceway, or an electric car going 200+ miles/hr around a track, has got to become intrigued. That’s what Drayson Racing is setting out to do, and this video demonstrates why I cover electric racing news.
Here’s a picture that shows some of the technology under the skin of the vehicle:
Drayson Racing was the first team to announce they would participate in the Formula E electric racing series that’s launching in 2014. That series will feature Formula 1 style electric race cars designed in a partnership between Spark Racing Technologies and McLaren. The series will run in 10 cities world-wide during 2014, with several exhibition events in 2013.
While Drayson Racing has spent a lot of money developing the car shown in the video, they will not race that car in the Formula E. Instead they’ll race during 2014 with cars provided by the Formula E organization, and plan to race in following years as a manufacturer in their own right.
- Highway design could decrease death and injury risk, if “we” chose smarter designs - March 28, 2015
- GM really did trademark “range anxiety”, only later to abandon that mark - March 25, 2015
- US Government releases new regulations on hydraulic fracturing, that some call “toothless” - March 20, 2015
- Tesla Motors magic pill to solve range anxiety doesn’t quite instill range confidence - March 19, 2015
- Update on Galena IL oil train – 21 cars involved, which were the supposedly safer CP1232 design - March 7, 2015
- Another oil bomb train – why are they shipping crude oil by train? – Symptoms of fossil fuel addiction - March 6, 2015
- Chevron relinquishes fracking in Romania, as part of broader pull-out from Eastern European fracking operations - February 22, 2015
- Answer anti- electric car articles with truth and pride – truth outshines all distortions - February 19, 2015
- Apple taking big risk on developing a car? Please, Apple, don’t go there! - February 16, 2015
- Toyota, Nissan, Honda working on Japanese fuel cell infrastructure for Japanese government - February 12, 2015