Gearing up for the FIM E-Power/TTXGP International Championship in Le Mans, France. The race is on the Eighth (7 days away!), so we’re shipping out pretty quickly here.
That answers the first question, why weren’t they at Miller. They were instead preparing for Le Mans. The question then is, “Why Le Mans?”
I managed to talk with Richard Hatfield by phone this morning, shortly before the race at Miller Motorsports, to get insight into the team’s thinking behind this decision.
The answer comes down to a pair of motivations. One is simply the prestige or glamour of not only being at Le Mans on the weekend of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but to participate in a race held on-site during that weekend. The opportunity arose, and the team chose to take the opportunity. The second part is a little more complex and has to do with a path in which Lightning could well win the 2012 e-Power Championship. Going by the results at Laguna Seca, Lightning soundly beat Muench Racing and the same result could occur again.
For the Le Mans race, Lightning has selected famed AMA Pro racer Miguel Duhamel to ride for the team. Duhamel is the second winningest racer in the AMA SuperBike series, and has the most wins in the AMA SportBike series. He retired from racing four years ago, and is coming out of retirement to race with Lightning at Le Mans.
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021
perhaps the needs of Lightning are dictated by the sponsor because Le Mans is the Fim ePower last race and Munch has already won!