Turns out you have to read down in the fine print of the article in the Twin Cities Pioneer Press that’s showcasing Clemens’ effort. He is competing in the “lowest weight category” for electric motorcycles, those weighing under 150 kilograms. Lightning Motorcycles are way above that category, and as for Chip Yates he does hold the FIM record for bikes weighing between 150-300 kilograms, at 187.142 miles/hr with fairings, and 173.574 miles/hr with no fairings.
Well then, what about Kevin Clemens? He built a bike last year that set the record in this class at 61.534 miles/hr, and has built a new bike hoping for a new record.
The new bike is built on a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that’s said to feature parts that aren’t off the shelf — “a specially made Agni motor that just arrived from India, expensive lithium polymer batteries and a state-of-the-art, never-before-made Alltrax controller.” Reading between the lines of this, it’s likely that Agni sent him one of the super-dooper Agni motors that aren’t on the price list yet, and that Alltrax built him a special controller.
What he says on his website is: “The batteries consist of 96 lithium polymer cells of the sort more commonly found in radio controlled model aircraft. The permanent magnet DC electric motor is a lightweight yet high performance unit produced by Agni Motors.” The pictures are too-low a resolution to tell much, other than the build is similar to that in The Secrets of El Ninja.
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020
- US Dept of Energy funding electric vehicle and battery research - March 6, 2020
- Bucharest abandons Oxygen tax, amid high pollution event, and Dacia’s first electric car - March 5, 2020
- Renault brand Dacia unveils most affordable electric car in Europe - March 4, 2020