Turns out you have to read down in the fine print of the article in the Twin Cities Pioneer Press that’s showcasing Clemens’ effort. He is competing in the “lowest weight category” for electric motorcycles, those weighing under 150 kilograms. Lightning Motorcycles are way above that category, and as for Chip Yates he does hold the FIM record for bikes weighing between 150-300 kilograms, at 187.142 miles/hr with fairings, and 173.574 miles/hr with no fairings.
Well then, what about Kevin Clemens? He built a bike last year that set the record in this class at 61.534 miles/hr, and has built a new bike hoping for a new record.
The new bike is built on a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that’s said to feature parts that aren’t off the shelf — “a specially made Agni motor that just arrived from India, expensive lithium polymer batteries and a state-of-the-art, never-before-made Alltrax controller.” Reading between the lines of this, it’s likely that Agni sent him one of the super-dooper Agni motors that aren’t on the price list yet, and that Alltrax built him a special controller.
What he says on his website is: “The batteries consist of 96 lithium polymer cells of the sort more commonly found in radio controlled model aircraft. The permanent magnet DC electric motor is a lightweight yet high performance unit produced by Agni Motors.” The pictures are too-low a resolution to tell much, other than the build is similar to that in The Secrets of El Ninja.
- Scam alert tossed at Lightning Motorcycles - November 13, 2019
- Rivian talking electric adventure trucks while developing electric commercial trucks - November 13, 2019
- Tesla Model 3 arrives in China with dual charging ports - November 12, 2019
- Tesla Model 3 achieves 1000km in 10 hours on Ionity chargers - October 31, 2019
- GM, other automakers, side with Trump Administration in fight against California - October 28, 2019
- CPUC aiming regulatory guns at utilities that over-do power shut-off events - October 28, 2019
- Climate Change threatens existence of PG&E and many other companies - October 27, 2019
- The TT ZERO race is dead after years of neglect by IOM TT organization - October 25, 2019
- Sen. Schumer proposes US completely switch to ZEV’s by 2040 - October 25, 2019
- Bucharest City Council passes ban on polluting cars entering the city - October 25, 2019