Turns out you have to read down in the fine print of the article in the Twin Cities Pioneer Press that’s showcasing Clemens’ effort. He is competing in the “lowest weight category” for electric motorcycles, those weighing under 150 kilograms. Lightning Motorcycles are way above that category, and as for Chip Yates he does hold the FIM record for bikes weighing between 150-300 kilograms, at 187.142 miles/hr with fairings, and 173.574 miles/hr with no fairings.
Well then, what about Kevin Clemens? He built a bike last year that set the record in this class at 61.534 miles/hr, and has built a new bike hoping for a new record.
The new bike is built on a 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that’s said to feature parts that aren’t off the shelf — “a specially made Agni motor that just arrived from India, expensive lithium polymer batteries and a state-of-the-art, never-before-made Alltrax controller.” Reading between the lines of this, it’s likely that Agni sent him one of the super-dooper Agni motors that aren’t on the price list yet, and that Alltrax built him a special controller.
What he says on his website is: “The batteries consist of 96 lithium polymer cells of the sort more commonly found in radio controlled model aircraft. The permanent magnet DC electric motor is a lightweight yet high performance unit produced by Agni Motors.” The pictures are too-low a resolution to tell much, other than the build is similar to that in The Secrets of El Ninja.
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021