The videos below agree with the story Michael Czysz gave me on Sunday morning. Shortly after when Chris Ancien brought in the bike he was riding, the battery pack became hot and started letting out the magic smoke. You can see in these videos a white cloud which may be steam, or may be from the battery cells. The pack nearly went into thermal runaway (Czysz agreed with that description when asked) and if that had happened it would have meant a fire, one that would have been difficult to put out. Instead, as you can see in these videos, the MotoCzysz crew first pushed the bike out from under their awning, then poured a bucked of water into the battery pack.
That, I think, is a similar sort of desperation move as pouring ocean water into an overheating nuclear reactor. In both cases you’re not expecting to reuse the gizmo, but are trying to avoid a worse problem, such as a fire.
As shown in the videos the gambit worked, the white cloud diminished, and there was no fire.
The first video doesn’t appear to allow me to embed the video on this blog post, so you’ll have to go to Google+ to view it: https://plus.google.com/108161928669055573248/posts/aXKe4tLA3iB
The second was shot by Travis Gintz, whom you can see standing in the previous video. In other words, the two videos were shot at the same time, and you can see two different views of the same event. There’s apparently a third video, shot by a person who appears to be liveforphysics532 on Youtube, but he appears to not have posted the video. (Luke, if that’s you, wink wink, nudge nudge)
- A destroyed Paradise, PG&E shuts down power, Tesla catches up with Zombie Apocalypse - October 10, 2019
- Iowa declares EV charging is not a utility, and allows use of on-site solar/wind - October 9, 2019
- Trump administration reopens leasing of federal lands in California for fracking - October 7, 2019
- Fremont Police disputes hooplah over Tesla-based patrol car running out of power - October 1, 2019
- Solar and Wind power could help Romania avoid electricity blackouts - October 1, 2019
- Maserati, Bently, announce electrified vehicles - September 28, 2019
- Minnesota defies Trump, joins states using California clean car standards - September 28, 2019
- Hyundai launching Green Hydrogen fuel cell trucks in Switzerland - September 26, 2019
- First gasoline station in the USA switches to 100% electric vehicle charging - September 26, 2019
- The over-amped response to a Tesla-based Police car running out of power - September 25, 2019