The videos below agree with the story Michael Czysz gave me on Sunday morning. Shortly after when Chris Ancien brought in the bike he was riding, the battery pack became hot and started letting out the magic smoke. You can see in these videos a white cloud which may be steam, or may be from the battery cells. The pack nearly went into thermal runaway (Czysz agreed with that description when asked) and if that had happened it would have meant a fire, one that would have been difficult to put out. Instead, as you can see in these videos, the MotoCzysz crew first pushed the bike out from under their awning, then poured a bucked of water into the battery pack.
That, I think, is a similar sort of desperation move as pouring ocean water into an overheating nuclear reactor. In both cases you’re not expecting to reuse the gizmo, but are trying to avoid a worse problem, such as a fire.
As shown in the videos the gambit worked, the white cloud diminished, and there was no fire.
The first video doesn’t appear to allow me to embed the video on this blog post, so you’ll have to go to Google+ to view it: https://plus.google.com/108161928669055573248/posts/aXKe4tLA3iB
The second was shot by Travis Gintz, whom you can see standing in the previous video. In other words, the two videos were shot at the same time, and you can see two different views of the same event. There’s apparently a third video, shot by a person who appears to be liveforphysics532 on Youtube, but he appears to not have posted the video. (Luke, if that’s you, wink wink, nudge nudge)
- Apple using Tesla Megapack energy storage at California Flats solar farm - April 1, 2021
- Tesla Supercharger network finally expanding into Romania - March 31, 2021
- Volkswagen USA LIED about changing its name to Voltswagen - March 31, 2021
- Apple moving 110 suppliers to renewable energy solutions - March 31, 2021
- BMW makes deal for lithium sourced from salt lakes in Argentina - March 30, 2021
- Kia introduces EV6, with 500 km range, ultra-fast 800v charging - March 30, 2021
- Volkswagen renames itself Voltswagen to demonstrate EV embrace - March 30, 2021
- Big Lie: Wind turbines cause Texas to freeze during massive winter storm - February 17, 2021
- Shell announces shift to renewable energy, peak oil production in 2019 - February 16, 2021
- Electric Last Mile Solutions seeks to electrify delivery van market - February 12, 2021