The videos below agree with the story Michael Czysz gave me on Sunday morning. Shortly after when Chris Ancien brought in the bike he was riding, the battery pack became hot and started letting out the magic smoke. You can see in these videos a white cloud which may be steam, or may be from the battery cells. The pack nearly went into thermal runaway (Czysz agreed with that description when asked) and if that had happened it would have meant a fire, one that would have been difficult to put out. Instead, as you can see in these videos, the MotoCzysz crew first pushed the bike out from under their awning, then poured a bucked of water into the battery pack.
That, I think, is a similar sort of desperation move as pouring ocean water into an overheating nuclear reactor. In both cases you’re not expecting to reuse the gizmo, but are trying to avoid a worse problem, such as a fire.
As shown in the videos the gambit worked, the white cloud diminished, and there was no fire.
The first video doesn’t appear to allow me to embed the video on this blog post, so you’ll have to go to Google+ to view it: https://plus.google.com/108161928669055573248/posts/aXKe4tLA3iB
The second was shot by Travis Gintz, whom you can see standing in the previous video. In other words, the two videos were shot at the same time, and you can see two different views of the same event. There’s apparently a third video, shot by a person who appears to be liveforphysics532 on Youtube, but he appears to not have posted the video. (Luke, if that’s you, wink wink, nudge nudge)
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021