An example is the Ethanol embrace by both NASCAR and the IndyCar series. Both are claiming to be going green by adopting Ethanol.
NASCAR and IndyCar both have interesting “green” initiatives such as recycling tires, landfill diversion, etc, and some race tracks have gone a bit further with ideas like solar panel arrays to produce electricity and using goats to trim the grass. The most noticeable effort with both groups is their switch to Ethanol.
There’s a lot of room for questioning just how green biofuels are. Ethanol for example has a long history in racing (e.g. alcohol fuels) so in practice it’s not much of a change for racers to switch between various liquid fuels, especially to adopt a sort of alcohol fuel they’ve been using anyway.
Having attended an IndyCar race I know that those race cars are just as loud and smelly as when they ran on gasoline. It’s one thing for an EV fanatic like me to look down my nose at their use of biofuels, and it’s yet another thing to supply them with an electric alternative that will do their race format.
The gas-car races go for 500 miles, right? Going high speed with an electric car is quite possible, but going 500 miles would mean stopping to recharge frequently. What would be the model to enable a 500 mile race at the speeds they run at? Fast recharge systems (e.g. CHADEMO) take 10 or 20 minutes to do the recharge. Battery swapping systems are possible allowing a pack to be swapped within a minute or so, and this exact thing has been done in multiple electric vehicle races. But it would mean having a car racing organization with the vision to reshape their sport to do this.
- Hyundai/Kia investing in Arrival to co-develop electric vehicle technology - January 16, 2020
- EV charging station costs can be reduced, says Rocky Mountain Institute - January 16, 2020
- GM’s Hummer jaw dropping electric pickup return a sign of shifting car industry - January 13, 2020
- Every plug-in vehicle has the right to access charging stations - December 28, 2019
- eVgo offers CHAdeMO fast charging to Tesla owners – UPDATE - December 20, 2019
- Trump intervenes to kill EV tax break extension for Tesla and GM - December 17, 2019
- 2012 is calling wanting its all-electric Mini Cooper SE - December 17, 2019
- eVgo offering fast charging to Tesla’s on non-Tesla charging station - December 15, 2019
- DHL bringing electric delivery vehicle pilot project to USA - December 12, 2019
- Mayor Pete’s work at McKinsey included major study on energy efficiency and climate change - December 11, 2019