The U.S. Postal Service has a lot of vehicles on the road every day through mud and sleet and all that. Their vehicle fleet is one of the largest on the planet. They’ve long had efforts to study alternative fuel vehicles and recently announced a one-for-one replacement of 6,500 vehicles with 1,000 E-85 ethanol-capable and 900 gasoline/electric hybrid vehicles to its delivery fleet. They’re also buying some new efficient four-cylinder vehicles to replace aging vehicles and also contribute to a reduction of their fleet size. These 1900 vehicles will bring their alternate fuel-capable fleet to 43,000 vehicles.
The Postal Service has increased alternative fuel use by 41 percent since 2006, and plans to reduce petroleum use by 20 percent over the next five years. Replacing aging vehicles with more fuel-efficient and alternative fuel-capable vehicles is key to reaching that goal. “This is a unique opportunity for the Postal Service to continue work on our goals for improved fuel economy, greenhouse gas reductions, and on our position as an environmental leader,” said Wayne Corey, manager, Vehicle Operations, who is overseeing the vehicle delivery.
Some other alternative fuel projects include:-
- Trial use of the T3 scooter for mail delivery, made by T3 Motion. The T3 is powered by two rechargeable batteries, has zero gas emissions and costs 4 cents a mile to operate.
- Testing two fourth generation fuel-cell Chevrolet Equinox hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles, which are delivering mail in Irvine, CA, and in Washington, DC. (note: the CARB program was dissected in an earlier article and deployment of fuel cell vehicles in California results in a huge ZEV credit multiplier)
- Using 35 delivery vehicles in Florida that run on propane fuel.
- Running 300 vehicles nationwide that are powered by biodiesel fuel.
For more info:
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA to increase domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America on route to USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda jointly create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021
- California launches massive Rule-Making effort for clean energy electricity grid - July 9, 2021
- Apple using Tesla Megapack energy storage at California Flats solar farm - April 1, 2021
- Tesla Supercharger network finally expanding into Romania - March 31, 2021
- Volkswagen USA LIED about changing its name to Voltswagen - March 31, 2021