When then-Secretary of State John Kerry signed the Paris Climate Accord, he brought his grand-daughter along as a symbol of how important a treaty that was. To John Kerry working on Climate Change is of ultimate importance. We of course agree with that wholeheartedly.
Now that Pres. Trump has been defeated by Pres-Elect Biden, there is a great sigh of relief going around the world. All kinds of cockamamie policy choices are probably about to be rescinded. A big issue over the Trump years is the backpedaling on climate and clean energy goals. The Trump Administration was very keen to do whatever the fossil fuel industry wanted, one step being to pull the USA out of the Paris Climate Accords.
Where the Trump Administration steered the USA in the wrong direction on Climate Change, and so many other things, we hope that the Biden Administration will steer us back in the correct direction.
Biden just announced that John Kerry will be the “Special Presidential Envoy for Climate”. What that means exactly is not clear. However, Kerry is an absolute heavy-weight in American Politics, and will surely help the Biden Administration gain some wins in foreign policy.
Importantly, this will be Kerry’s full time job. Doubly importantly, he will have a seat on the National Security Council. This will mark the first time that the NSC will include an official dedicated to working on climate change. The move appears meant to underscore Bidens commitment to addressing climate change as an urgent national security issue.
We of course agree with that wholeheartedly.
But.. there are some things Biden has said that indicate “we” of the movement pushing for clean energy technology must keep pressuring the Biden Administration on climate and clean energy goals. The issue is so bleeping important that we cannot sit back and breath a sigh of relief and go back to sleep.
In 2009 when Pres. Obama came to office, he’d said to us that he needed us behind him, that we had to keep up the pressure on Washington to implement the goals Obama had called for. But we collectively went back to sleep, and the Republicans rolled right over Obama’s efforts. We cannot let that happen again.
During the debates with Trump, Biden clearly and forcefully said he would not ban Fracking, and that his Climate Change plan was not the Green New Deal. In other words, there are some policy issues that are extremely important that we expect Biden will do nothing about, unless we keep pressuring Biden on those issues. Fracking, for instance, must end because of the horrid chemicals it requires, and because it lets us stay addicted to fossil fuels.
- Komatsu and Honda jointly create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021
- California launches massive Rule-Making effort for clean energy electricity grid - July 9, 2021
- Apple using Tesla Megapack energy storage at California Flats solar farm - April 1, 2021
- Tesla Supercharger network finally expanding into Romania - March 31, 2021
- Volkswagen USA LIED about changing its name to Voltswagen - March 31, 2021
- Apple moving 110 suppliers to renewable energy solutions - March 31, 2021
- BMW makes deal for lithium sourced from salt lakes in Argentina - March 30, 2021
- Kia introduces EV6, with 500 km range, ultra-fast 800v charging - March 30, 2021
- Volkswagen renames itself Voltswagen to demonstrate EV embrace - March 30, 2021
- Big Lie: Wind turbines cause Texas to freeze during massive winter storm - February 17, 2021