When then-Secretary of State John Kerry signed the Paris Climate Accord, he brought his grand-daughter along as a symbol of how important a treaty that was. To John Kerry working on Climate Change is of ultimate importance. We of course agree with that wholeheartedly.
Now that Pres. Trump has been defeated by Pres-Elect Biden, there is a great sigh of relief going around the world. All kinds of cockamamie policy choices are probably about to be rescinded. A big issue over the Trump years is the backpedaling on climate and clean energy goals. The Trump Administration was very keen to do whatever the fossil fuel industry wanted, one step being to pull the USA out of the Paris Climate Accords.
Where the Trump Administration steered the USA in the wrong direction on Climate Change, and so many other things, we hope that the Biden Administration will steer us back in the correct direction.
Biden just announced that John Kerry will be the “Special Presidential Envoy for Climate”. What that means exactly is not clear. However, Kerry is an absolute heavy-weight in American Politics, and will surely help the Biden Administration gain some wins in foreign policy.
Importantly, this will be Kerry’s full time job. Doubly importantly, he will have a seat on the National Security Council. This will mark the first time that the NSC will include an official dedicated to working on climate change. The move appears meant to underscore Bidens commitment to addressing climate change as an urgent national security issue.
We of course agree with that wholeheartedly.
But.. there are some things Biden has said that indicate “we” of the movement pushing for clean energy technology must keep pressuring the Biden Administration on climate and clean energy goals. The issue is so bleeping important that we cannot sit back and breath a sigh of relief and go back to sleep.
In 2009 when Pres. Obama came to office, he’d said to us that he needed us behind him, that we had to keep up the pressure on Washington to implement the goals Obama had called for. But we collectively went back to sleep, and the Republicans rolled right over Obama’s efforts. We cannot let that happen again.
During the debates with Trump, Biden clearly and forcefully said he would not ban Fracking, and that his Climate Change plan was not the Green New Deal. In other words, there are some policy issues that are extremely important that we expect Biden will do nothing about, unless we keep pressuring Biden on those issues. Fracking, for instance, must end because of the horrid chemicals it requires, and because it lets us stay addicted to fossil fuels.
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020