A few days ago I posted a preliminary report saying that eVgo has bolted a Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter to the side of some fast charging stations, to better serve Tesla car owners. There is an advertisement running on Facebook that leads to a page on their website. That information makes it clear that eVgo has a newer design for the Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter than what I found at my local charging station, and that eVgo has deployed this to several places around San Francisco. In particular, eVgo is using a modified Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter that has an extra-long cord.
For previous coverage see
Let’s start with the updated design as presented on eVgo’s website.
To the right we have instructions for using the charging station. You can use an eVgo card, the smart phone app, or a credit card. There is a credit card reader in the charging station. But let’s focus on the left-side of the picture.
Looking carefully at the image, we see a blue CHAdeMO plug on the left-hand side of the charging station. It is plugged into a box attached to the side of the charging station, and above that box is more directions for Tesla drivers. Notice that where the blue CHAdeMO plug is attached there is a red ring.
From that box is a long cable, that ends in what looks like a Tesla plug.
We see that, while in use, the Tesla-compatible cord extends from that box and plugs-in to the Tesla car.
Then over on YouTube, eVgo shows the adapter system in use. Notice that the Tesla plug is inserted into the receptacle that is normally used for the CHAdeMO cord, and that the blue CHAdeMO plug is on the left. Notice that it says 50 kiloWatts, which is the maximum charging rate supported for these ABB charging stations.
I believe the words here under the CHAdeMO plug explain that owners of CHAdeMO cars can use this plug on their car. They’re expected to return the CHAdeMO plug to this receptacle.
This design is much better than what I found in my previous posting at the ABB headquarters.
In that case, eVgo used a normal Tesla-CHAdeMO that one can buy from the Tesla online shopping. They have attached it to the eVgo/ABB charging station with a sturdy metal cable, to mitigate thefts.
There is a reason I pointed out the “red ring” around the blue CHAdeMO plug. Notice that the Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter has a red ring of the same shade of red.
This is what the adapter looks like on Tesla’s website. Notice again the red ring around the CHAdeMO plug on the adapter.
This is from Tesla’s website, showing the adapter in use. Notice that it is a fairly short adapter, that’s different from what eVgo shows on their website.
Somehow, eVgo got ahold of a Tesla-CHAdeMO adapter that has a longer cord. It’s clear that the box eVgo attached to the side of the charging station contains this adapter, and that it has a looooong cord allowing it to reach over to the car.
- We must pressure Biden over climate despite choosing Kerry as climate representative - November 25, 2020
- Tesla Autopilot danger from “passive vigilance” effect - October 24, 2020
- CALFire seizes PG&E equipment investigating cause of Zogg Fire in 2020 wildfire season - October 10, 2020
- Protect yourself from unhealthy air in wildfire zones - September 12, 2020
- 5+ million acres burned, choking smoke, Climate Change accelerated - September 12, 2020
- La Nina develops, promising longer 2020 fire and hurricane season - September 10, 2020
- California wildfires 2020, over 2 million acres burned - September 9, 2020
- Disease risk higher in highly polluted areas – COVID-19 risk greater? - April 1, 2020
- Conservative values failing USA as EPA guts fuel efficiency standards, fails with COVID-19 response - April 1, 2020
- SunSpec aims to help Veterans transition to clean energy jobs - March 31, 2020