In some circles Patriotism is a big deal, and it seems Patriots are routinely bashing electric vehicles, solar power, and this sort of thing. The video below is by an American living in North Carolina, who makes YouTube videos about hunting with guns and arrows, and presents himself as a Patriot. And he has a message for his fellow Patriots, that the Tesla is not something they should be bashing but instead embracing because it is the most Patriotic vehicle that Americans can purchase.
I have mixed feelings about what’s presented in the video. But he makes a great point.
The core of the argument can be summarized as so:
- The electricity an American consumes to drive their electric car is inherently produced in America
- Tesla overwhelmingly sources parts and materials in America
- Tesla is advancing the state of the art of American expertise
- As Tesla expands sales outside the USA, that is a large amount of export dollars flowing into the USA
- The Gigafactory in Nevada is expected to be an economic engine producing hundreds of billions of dollars of economic benefit in America – and that factory is just the start – ditto with the other factories Tesla owns between Fremont and the Central Valley
- The Gigafactory Tesla is building in China will be a huge facility, and owned by Tesla
- Tesla is leading the way in advanced technologies in critical areas – including Artificial Intelligence
- Tesla is building their own AI neural network chips and AI software expertise
All of this is true. There are many glowingly positive things one can say about Tesla’s vehicles. Readers of The Long Tail Pipe might think I’m a Tesla Basher because I am frequently writing articles critical of Tesla. I believe it is my role to not blindly accept everything Tesla does or say as if it is Manna falling from the heavens, but to evaluate everything logically.
In the video we’re treated to an overview of the technology inside a Tesla car, the performance of the dual motor Tesla Model 3, what the Autopilot feature does and how it is a harbinger of fully autonomous vehicles in the future, and so on. Tesla has indeed developed an amazing car. I wish it were a proper hatchback – if it were I’d be more interested.
Here’s where I’m going to possibly turn off a few people. But there are some things in this video that are important to discuss. If the video had stopped with the above points all would be good.
What does it mean to be a Patriot? Going by this fellow it seems a Patriot likes guns, and likes shooting guns. And that in the Patriot Community it seems Patriotism means burning gasoline and other fossil fuels. What’s Patriotic about America in the role of militarily dominating the whole world? And the last thing – why is the American flag on his t-shirt in the final scenes backwards?
We’re talking about the purchase and fueling of a car.
There are economic arguments to make about that choice. Buying a car made in another country funnels profits to that other country. Buying fuel manufactured in another country funnels profits to that other country. Therefore, buying cars or fuel that come from elsewhere weakens the country.
- The Chevy Silverado – manufactured by a studly American company – how many of the parts are manufactured outside the USA? And don’t you Patriots realize that General Motors has a huge amount of operations outside the USA? GM’s biggest operations are in China.
- Likewise, gasoline for the most part comes from outside the USA.
Just taking those two examples, purchase of either sends some dollars outside the USA, weakening the USA economy. One of the few areas where I have agreement with Pres. Trump is that NAFTA and the proposed TPP might not be good for America because of how it accelerates shipping jobs that had been in the USA to other counties.
Where I have a huge problem with this video is all the ways the presenter suggests that America should be militarily and economically dominating the whole world.
Yes, America can and should be in a leading position in the global economy. But does that mean America should be the only country in such a position?
Shouldn’t other countries also have a significant role on the world stage?
- A destroyed Paradise, PG&E shuts down power, Tesla catches up with Zombie Apocalypse - October 10, 2019
- Iowa declares EV charging is not a utility, and allows use of on-site solar/wind - October 9, 2019
- Trump administration reopens leasing of federal lands in California for fracking - October 7, 2019
- Fremont Police disputes hooplah over Tesla-based patrol car running out of power - October 1, 2019
- Solar and Wind power could help Romania avoid electricity blackouts - October 1, 2019
- Maserati, Bently, announce electrified vehicles - September 28, 2019
- Minnesota defies Trump, joins states using California clean car standards - September 28, 2019
- Hyundai launching Green Hydrogen fuel cell trucks in Switzerland - September 26, 2019
- First gasoline station in the USA switches to 100% electric vehicle charging - September 26, 2019
- The over-amped response to a Tesla-based Police car running out of power - September 25, 2019