The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is coming up again, so it’s time to take a peek at the entry list to see who’s shooting for the peak. Okay, that was a bad pun, but who’s planning to go, that’s what’s important. At the moment the electric division looks smaller than last years, but down at the bottom of the entry list is a dozen or so TBD’s for entries that are being considered and have yet to be approved. Maybe some electric teams are among the TBD’s?
In cars we have:
#1: Nobuhiro Tajima (Monster Tajima) returning with his E-Runner Pikes Peak Special
#32: Masuoka Hiroshi – Mitsubishi i-MiEV Evolution III
#34: Greg Tracy – Mitsubishi i-MiEV Evolution III
#8: Ikuo Hanawa – Yokohama Tires – Summit HER-02
#177: Roy Richards – Honda Fit EV
#230: Steve Wickham – Toyota RAV4 EV
The official entry list has a TBD at the front of the Cars list. According to Electric Auto Sport, Janis Horelicks is planning to enter with a Tesla Roadster 360, whatever that is. Janis is with the Latvian team that entered the eO last year but were unable to finish. Their website contains a promise to return in 2014, but nothing further has been posted since September 2013.
#64: Jeremiah Johnson – Brutus Electric Motorcycle V2
#39: Yoshihiro Kishimoto – Mirai TT ZERO 13 (Pikes Peak Version)
#777: Jeff Clark – 2013 Zero FX
This is a lot smaller a group than the 2013 electric motorcycle field. The glaring omission is Lightning Motorcycles, whom we hoped would return to the mountain and prove their overall win last year wasn’t a fluke. There are five TBD’s at the bottom of the official entry list for motorcycles, maybe there’s an electric hiding among them?
I wasn’t able to find out much about Yoshihiro Kishimoto. His facebook page doesn’t have postings about electric motorcycles this year, but shows some kind of reunion he attended with alumni of a TT ZERO run. Back in 2012 some site named ElectricRaceNews.com reported that he entered the 2012 TT ZERO with an awesome looking bike.
Johnson entered last year with a Zero S but this year has hooked up with Brutus. They’re building a monster of a bike that also looks awesome. They posted a little picture gallery a few days ago:
- Is there enough Grid Capacity for Hydrogen Fuel Cell or Battery Electric cars? - April 23, 2023
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021