Two Formula One drivers in a phys.org interview have split opinions on whether the Formula E electric race car series would be a success. One, Sebastian Vettel, said it was going to fail, that it’s not the future, because it doesn’t scream, and you don’t feel the vibration in your bones.
“I don’t like it at all, I think it’s not the future,” Vettel said at the Indian Grand Prix, where victory on Sunday will give him a fourth consecutive drivers title. I think people come here to feel Formula One and there is not much to feel when a car goes by and you don’t even hear anything but the wind. Maybe I am very old-fashioned, but I think Formula One needs to scream, needs to be loud and there needs to be vibration.”
The other, Nico Rosberg, while not quite enthusiastic, at least didn’t bash the Formula E to pieces with what he said: “It’s an interesting thing for sure, something new and I know there is a lot of interest,” Rosberg said. “It’s planned to be in cities (rather than normal circuits), so it’s bringing the race to the people, not the people to the race. It’s a bit of the future, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. We need to wait and see.”
The Formula E series is a FIA blessed electric car racing series consisting of Formula One style racing cars. The races will, as Rosberg said, be held in city centers making it possible for more people to attend.
Vettel is right – electric race vehicles don’t have the same vibrational tone as do gas powered race vehicles.
The question is whether the noise and vibration is a bug or a feature? Is the noise an annoyance, or is it something to be enjoyed? I myself find the noise an annoyance.
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA to increase domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America on route to USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda jointly create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021
- California launches massive Rule-Making effort for clean energy electricity grid - July 9, 2021
- Apple using Tesla Megapack energy storage at California Flats solar farm - April 1, 2021
- Tesla Supercharger network finally expanding into Romania - March 31, 2021
- Volkswagen USA LIED about changing its name to Voltswagen - March 31, 2021