Mitsubishi has just announced entry into the 2013 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb with two all-new MiEV Evolution II electric race cars. The team is also expressing an intention to win outright.
I’ve written up details here :- http://www.torquenews.com/1075/pikes-peak-electric-racing-heating-two-entries-mitsubishi
For data on the Toyota entry see :- http://www.electricracenews.com/2013/05/toyota-returning-to-pikes-peak-with.html
For data on the Latvian entry see :- http://www.electricracenews.com/2013/05/a-look-at-driveeos-pikes-peak.html
All three entries are race cars with 400 kilowatt drive trains, and in each case the teams say they’re looking to win outright.
2013 MiEV Evolution II Design Highlights
- Improved lower center of gravity due to redesigned lithium-ion battery placement
- Improved power output/performance from four-motor (two front/two rear) 4WD drivetrain with MMC’s Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) integrated vehicle dynamics control system
- Active Yaw Control (AYC) to optimally control yaw for improved high-speed cornering
- Active Stability Control (ASC) for improved vehicle dynamics and control by automatically managing brake force to one or more wheels as well as motor output
- Redesigned Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
2013 MiEV Evolution II Specifications
|Length x Width x Height (in.)
||191.7 x 74.8 x 54.7
(Made by Meidensha)
||4 (2 front, 2 rear)
|Maximum Output (kW)
||400 (100kW x 4 motors)
(Made by LEJ)
|Maximum Capacity (kWh)
||Specially-designed tube frame
|Tires (made by Dunlop)
Hiroshi Masuoka began his Dakar Rally campaign in 1987 and became the first Japanese driver to post consecutive overall victories in the event when he won in 2002 and 2003.
Currently, Masuoka works at Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) where his many duties include vehicle development, training MMC test drivers, and running test drive sessions and other events both in Japan and overseas.
“We are able to tackle Pikes Peak a second time thanks to the support of our many partner companies. We were able to come up with a new and improved MiEV Evolution II based on the precious data and know-how we gained from last year’s race. We welcome Greg Tracy as our teammate. With his wealth of motorsport experience, we will give it our all for a one-two finish. Thank you for your continued support!,” says Masuoka.
A six-time PPIHC overall motorcycle champion, Tracy placed second overall in motorcycles in 2012.
Tracy brings a wealth of racing experience not only in motorcycles but four-wheeled vehicles as well, and is also a professional stunt driver. As a Hot Wheels Team Green Driver, he achieved the Guinness World Record for completing the Double Loop Dare at XGames in 2012.
“I’m excited to compete here with the MiEV Evolution II. I will do my best, along with my teammates, to make an electric vehicle the champ for the first time ever,” says Tracy
- Is Tesla finagling to grab federal NEVI dollars for Supercharger network? - November 15, 2022
- Tesla announces the North American Charging Standard charging connector - November 11, 2022
- Lightning Motorcycles adopts Silicon battery, 5 minute charge time gives 135 miles range - November 9, 2022
- Tesla Autopilot under US Dept of Transportation scrutiny - June 13, 2022
- Spectacular CNG bus fire misrepresented as EV bus fire - April 21, 2022
- Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and the European Energy Crisis - December 21, 2021
- Li-Bridge leading the USA across lithium battery chasm - October 29, 2021
- USA increasing domestic lithium battery research and manufacturing - October 28, 2021
- Electrify America building USA/Canada-wide EV charging network - October 27, 2021
- Komatsu and Honda create electric micro-Excavator - July 10, 2021