Cars are only one way to move our butts around town, or across countries or continents. The predominance of cars (and motorcycles and trucks) for travel was supposed to give us lots of freedom, but instead has blighted the landscape with roads, and trapped us in gridlock (in many cities). This tool that was meant to be beneficial to us all, has instead become a major source of problems.
There are other ways to travel. For short distances around town, especially in urban settings, a combination of bicycling or motorcycling, walking, and public mass transit lets us get around at low cost, low energy usage, low environmental impact, and low total ownership cost.
Bicycle and Pedestrian friendly street design: Urban planning often presumes that cars are the best way to get around. Cities do not have to be designed for the benefit of car drivers over every other transportation method. Cities can be designed to provide balance between all kinds of transportation, by making it safer for bicyclists, pedestrians and transit users.
Car-Free Living, Zero Vehicle Household, Transit Access: The car-dominated urban design patterns make it harder for low income people to access affordable transit options.
Shared Transportation, Carpooling, etc: One key is the “sharing” of transportation vehicles among multiple people. The “sharing economy” concept is actually old – since public owned mass transit is the Sharing Economy applied to transportation. Many new services exist offering sharing of vehicles among users of the service, whether it’s ride sharing, car sharing, or even bus systems.
- Green Transportation Guide - buying, owning, charging, plug-in vehicles of all kinds
- What is Green Transportation?
- Electric cars aren’t too expensive – you can own one for free
- Understanding car cost of ownership – gasoline, diesel, electric, etc
- Electric Car Ownership Economics
- Electric vehicle tax credits encourage adoption, help governments reach climate goals
- Electric cars drive cheaper, electricity is a cheaper fuel, calculating the cost of any fuel
- Electric cars are cheaper to maintain, no oil to change, no gaskets to replace, etc
- Saving on refueling time and other time costs associated with the car
- Calculating electric car cost per mile of range – therefore is more valuable
- Calculating effective trip speed – Fast charging cars more valuable
- Leasing insulates you against electric car price fluctuations
- Driving an electric cars is serenity, what’s “peace of mind” worth to you?
- Externalized car ownership costs that tilt the playing field towards gasoline cars
- Altruism – Saving the World at What Cost?
- What’s the Cost of Inaction? Fossil fuels keep causing climate change
- Recognizing the future costs of climate change and resource wars
- What is it worth to avoid future climate change and environmental catastrophes?
- Peak Oil the long-term gasoline price (hint: UP) and electricity price (hint: STABLE)
- What’s your share of the cost of the global oil war?
- Gasoline, electricity, and the energy to move transportation systems
- Electric cars run on electricity, not gasoline, and other basic factoids
- Understanding kiloWatt-hours in electric cars and other gizmos
- Energy density in battery packs or gasoline
- Understand home solar power system design with this detailed walk-through
- Solar panel covered parking lots with charging stations underneath – EV Nirvana
- The number of solar panels required to power an electric car
- The coal-powered EV myth; Electricity is only as clean as the method to generate it
- Natural gas, supposed to be a wondrous clean fuel, but ….
- Hydrogen, fuel cells, and the compelling fiction of “the only exhaust is water”
- The 6 kWh electricity to refine gasoline would drive an electric car the same distance as a gasser?
- Solar panels can power the home and electric car, from the roof top — can’t do that with gasoline cars
- The fossil fuel game is kept alive with fracking – destroying the planet to drive our cars
- Electric car charging advice & systems
- Don’t electric cars freeze up in Winter and become useless?
- Car-free living, bicycling, pedestrians, mass transit
- Bicycle and Pedestrian friendly street design
- Car-Free Living, Zero Vehicle Household, Transit Access
- Shared Transportation, Carpooling, etc
- Freedom from Fossil Fuels
- Electric cars are safer than gasoline cars
- Why an electric car can’t power itself